How To Plan Events On Campus

What every student group should know about planning an event

Essentials > How To Plan Events On Campus
How To Plan Events On Campus

Students groups should know the event planning process so that the approval process for their awesome events can be quicker.

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

Student groups and organizations are always planning different events for their members. However, the event planning process can be confusing at times or seem exhausting. New student groups may not even be aware of the event planning process. Thus, this should serve as a key tool for any student group interested in putting together events the right way. 

Before student groups can plan their events successfully, they need to be aware of what type of event they are going for. At Kean University, there are three types of events: major events, regular programs, and meetings. 

Major events include events with an expected attendance of over 200 people and an expected budget of over $2,000 dollars. Any event in Harwood Arena, Wilkins Theatre, Downs Hall, and exterior University Grounds are considered major events.

Regular programs are events with an expected attendance of under 200 people in the Miron Student Center, the Center for Academic Success, Hennings Hall, Hutchinson Hall, etc. Such events include tabling and bake sales. 

Meetings on campus are when student groups and organizations can convene. 

Any student group and student should become familiar with CougarLink as it plays a huge role on campus and event planning. Recognized student groups with an idea for an event should plan out most if not all of the details of their event. This makes the process easier overall as the student group is aware of what they plan to do and how it will proceed. 

Next, the Executive Board member of the student group should visit CougarLink and fill out a concept program proposal form. This form, which gives basic details about the event, is reviewed by the director of the specific department in a span of three business days. Student groups will be notified on CougarLink about the status of the event—whether it is approved or denied .

It is essential for student groups and organizations to keep in mind that just because they submitted the concept program proposal form they are not guaranteed approval of their event. Two factors that are considered in the approval process are availability and disruption. The director will consider the availability of campus resources and a connection to the mission of the university. Moreover, the director will consider if the event disrupts the function of the university both in its desire to be an environment to be conducive to academic learning for its students. 

Meetings and events are handled differently. Student groups and organizations can request space for meetings on CougarLink. For events, the request will be handled by an Involvement Specialist. If the event requires set-up, student groups need to contact the Office of Campus Planning and Facilities.

If the director approves the concept proposal program form, then the Events Board looks over it next. The Events Board views concept proposals for major programs and for events with multiple organizations, speakers and DJs. If the Events Board approves the student group's concept proposal, then the Executive board member of the student group can plan further and submit the final proposal. The last step is for the Events Board to approve the final proposal, which will give the student group the green light for their event. 

Again, CougarLink is where proposals are submitted and approvals are given. Executive Board members of student groups should always be checking CougarLink for the status of their event proposals.

The Involvement Center is a prime resource for student groups. Located in MSC room 303, the Involvement Center can provide answers for anything related to student groups. Student group members are advised to visit the Involvement Center for answers concerning event planning.  

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.