Get Ready to Meet the Greeks this Spring!

The Center for Leadership and Service hosts its semester annual Meet the Greeks event at Harwood Arena Jan. 23!

Campus News > Get Ready to Meet the Greeks this Spring!
Brandon Gervais, Editor

Tuesday, Jan. 23, 2018, come out to Harwood Arena to Meet the Greeks! Hosted by the Center for Leadership and Service (CLS), Meet the Greeks is a chance for those interested in Greek Life at Kean to get more information and be introduced to the different organizations. The event will be held from 5 to 10 p.m. The event is free for students with a valid Kean ID and $5 for alumni.

Despite negative stereotypes, Greek Life is not what everyone thinks. The primary focus of Greek organizations is to provide awareness of social responsibility, social and personal development, respect for human diversity and intellectual achievement. While every fraternity and sorority are different, they all have the same core values for service and achievement. Greek Life offers a wide range of benefits to those involved. The sororities and fraternities on campus promote and preserve the ideals of scholarship, service leadership, campus involvement, and brotherhood/sisterhood. 

With over 30 Greek organizations at Kean, there are plenty of options for anyone who is interested. Second semester freshmen are now able to join Greek Life. It is an exciting time and the beginning of a life-long experience of brotherhood/sisterhood. 

"The goal of Meet the Greeks is to promote the Greek organizations here at Kean, and it is a huge recruitment event for them. Each year we want more people to come out who have never thought of joining Greek Life and get them interested. Meet the Greeks is highly beneficial in getting to know the different kinds of organizations at Kean. It is an event people at Kean look forward to because even though it is informational, there are the performances and the energy from the organizations," said Ashley Buchanan, Graduate Intern of Greek Affairs.

Meet the Greeks is a fun annual event that introduces students to Greek Life. Speeches will be made by Nu Theta Chi, Gamma Psi Epsilon, Sigma Beta Chi, Nu Delta Pi and more! The night is filled with cheers, chants, strolls, dance and step performances from multiple organizations including Beta Kappa Psi, Chi Upsilon Sigma, Alpha Phi Alpha, Lambda Tau Omega and more! At the event, students and alumni can walk around and get to know the different organizations through their members and through their tables stationed throughout the arena. Meet the Greeks shows the Greek Community coming together and promotes unity between organizations. Members from these organizations outside of Kean come and support the different chapters at Kean. 

The choice in the Greek Organization students choose to rush will forever change their lives and will give them a large group to call a family. Anyone interested can go to the Meet the Greeks event to be prepared to start the journey with their potential new brothers or sisters! Tickets available at the door!

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.