Annual Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

The Office of Africana Studies will be holding a tribute presentation on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X

Campus News > Annual Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Brandon Gervais, Editor

Thursday, Jan. 25, 2018, the Office of Africana Studies will be hosting a Tribute to Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X in the Miron Student Center Little Theatre from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.

The event will be a presentation by professor and journalist Peter Bailey. His presentation is brand new and covers the shared concepts of Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X. He will discuss their differences but more importantly their similarities and how they were able to come together. 

Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was a civil rights activist and contributed greatly to the accomplishments of the Civil Rights Movement in the mid 1950s and 1960s. He is credited with being the most recognizable face of the civil rights movement with his beliefs in peaceful protest and togetherness of the black and white community.

Malcolm X was a Muslim minister and another highly influential civil rights activist during the Civil Rights Movement. His and Martin Luther King Jr.'s beliefs had many differences but both were driving forces of the movement.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day is celebrated on the third Monday in January and is a day to remember the great things Martin Luther King Jr. did. It is so much more than just another day off as it has become a day that celebrates and promotes volunteerism and righteousness. The day now is day of national service, and at Kean there are plenty of opportunities for service. 

"Martin Luther King Jr. Day is not just a day we celebrate and forget about. It is not a day we should only celebrate once. It is a day and month where we should be dedicating ourselves to service and humanitarianism. It is a day to remind us to become active politically and socially," said James Conyers, Ph.D, director of Africana Studies at Kean University.

The presentation is brand new, and the guest speaker has been to Kean many times to present. Anyone interested in hearing the presentation can come Thursday, Jan. 25, 2018 in the Miron Student Center Little Theatre from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. Participating in community service here on campus is also great way to honor Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.