Scholartips For Successful Scholarship Essays

Tips for writing exceptional scholarship essays

Essentials > Scholartips For Successful Scholarship Essays

Follow these scholarship essay tips to be on track to gain extra cash toward tuition!

Brandon Gervais, Editor

Once again, it is the time of year when scholarships are on everyone's mind. As more applications become available, students notice the essays required in many of these applications, making some not even bother to apply. Essays are the best way for the reviewers of your application to see who you are, and it can be a deciding factor in who gets chosen. The goal for students is to have their essay stand out from the rest of the pile on the reviewer's desk. Here are some tips on how to keep a reader interested and have that reader consider an essay successful.

Follow Directions, Be Clear and Concise

Too many times the person writing the essay forgets the point and the original question. It is important to keep the actual question of the essay in mind throughout and not stray too far from it. 

Plan it out and Don't rush

Always allow plenty of time between beginning the application essay and the deadline. If the two are too close, the essay will be rushed and readers can tell when an essay is rushed. Plan out essays in an outline or some sort of format to stay on track and make sure everything that needs to be said is said.

Self and Peer Edit

When an essay is finished, the best way to check it for grammar and spelling is to read the essay aloud. Reading aloud exposes the errors that could've been missed. It also helps to have someone else read it aloud to you, or to simply read it over for you. On campus, the writing center is available to all students who need assistance with their writing. The hours for the writing center are Monday-Thursday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. located in the Nancy Thompson Library room 108. The Writing Center can also be contacted at 908-737-4793 and at writingcenter@kean.edu.

Make it Personal

"The advice I always give students is to speak from the heart and tell your story. Keep in mind that many applicants are going to exhibit strong academic merit, and many will also have good references, as well as a solid record of community service. The essay is your chance to rise above and beyond those aspects and tell the review committee exactly why you need this scholarship, how it will benefit you and ultimately how you will benefit the world once you move beyond Kean University. It sounds like a lot to get into a few hundred words, but trust me when I say that it is possible to accomplish," said Brian Treanor, director of Scholarship Services at Kean University.

To boost the references and service projects on your essays and applications, contact the Involvement Center and the Center for Leadership and Service to find out about how to get involved on campus and what service projects are coming up to help make connections on campus.

It is important for a successful scholarship application to have a strong essay backing it up. Many scholarships are mostly based on your essay. Feel confident and follow these tips when writing your essay it will be surprising the reward that could be received. Remember the Kean Foundation Scholarship Application is still available until March 1.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.