The Voices at Kean: Radio Station Features

How these students paved their way to the radio station

Features > The Voices at Kean: Radio Station Features

WKNJ allows students to have their voices heard in the Kean community! 

WKNJ-FM is dedicated to finding and giving these students a platform to build and to encourage other students at Kean. Whether through music or current topics, it is important to acknowledge the progress these students have made. 

WKNJ-FM is located in the Center for Academic Success (CAS), Room 401, where a welcoming sign is adjusted on the top of the room to encourage potential radio professionals to join! The radio station consists of a program director, assistant program director, music director, event planner and event coordinator.

WKNJ-FM

Alongside the staff are the people who express themselves through radio, the DJs and radio hosts! The shows are as followed:

• Netflix and Chill, hosted by Emily and Jerome on Mondays noon to 12:30 p.m., consists of the best and worst movies and shows on Netflix worth watching. They seek to make their audience laugh while giving an honest opinion on each genre.
  • Questions and Questionable Answers is hosted by Tori and Caelle on Mondays 12:30 to 1:20 p.m. They seek to get answers to the most interesting and puzzling questions relating to recent issues and events. Their radio show is a mix of humor and knowledge to answer the most profound questions.
  • On the Rise hosted by Francis on Fridays 2 to 3 p.m. This show seeks to enlighten students about new artists. She believes in a progressive approach which includes a positive outlook and a means for change on feminism, LGBTQ+ and black issues. 
  • Healthier Radio is hosted by Joe Chirichella on Tuesdays 11 a.m. to noon. This show aims to provide insight to the hip-hop or trap scene.
  • He Said, She Said, hosted by Q.Don and Mr. Urkell, focuses on different topics aimed toward millennials from a male and female perspective. It has a comedic feel that leaves room for debate.
  • Send Tunes is hosted by Patricia Cenit on Wednesdays 2 to 3 p.m. Cenit wants to help students find new music from different genres like pop songs and rock stars. She also wants to pay tribute to international music, female artists and other minorities.
  • The Strom Show is hosted by Stephen Strom on Tuesdays noon to 1 p.m. Sports fans at Kean can get their fix with this radio show which discusses the hottest topics in sports. He wants to get the attention of sports fans whether they agree with his commentary or not. Go sports, go Strom!
  • MmmHmm Radio takes place Wednesdays 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. This radio show emphasizes the love for different types of music like rap, rock, R&B, pop, Spanish music and even Jazz. For those who claim to love every type of music, this show allows students to test their knowledge and show their appreciation for a diverse playlist.
  • The Devin Hour is hosted by Devin on Wednesdays 5 to 6 p.m. Devin Hour allows him to express his opinions but also break down the latest news. He also covers controversial topics and mellows it down with music.
  • The Kayy Simone Show is hosted by Kayy Simone Thursdays at 4 p.m. With her blogger skills, she uses a unique style to interview local talent. She also goes in-depth with the hip-hop world in a segment called Lets Talk Hip-Hop that goes deep into the spectrum of hip-hop music and culture.
  • Tales of Two Tired Black Girls is hosted by Annabelle Mazagwu and Abby Abebefe Thursdays 1 to 2 p.m. The name alone lets the audience know that they will speak on interesting and insightful topics. The hosts look at issues within the pop culture and the concern for black women. Students who are concerned with the issues plaguing our society will be informed and entertained.
  • Trey Vibes takes place Thursdays at 8 p.m. where music could be heard and his skills can be executed on campus. He also has a passion for music and fashion which translates through his show.
  • #WhoIsOliJawn is hosted by OliJawn on Fridays from 4 to 5 p.m. OliJawn brings a filterless approach to his show that allows room for honest opinions and topics that most people are afraid to answer. 
  • Shane and Bee takes place Fridays 7 to 8 p.m. These two best friends tackle meaningful topics such as mental health, pop culture and sometimes even gossip. Tune in to feel the chemistry between the two as they give their insight on important topics.
  • Fridaze is hosted by Andrew Sanchez and Vera Soares on Fridays 3 to 3:30 p.m.

Devin Wilson, a sophomore studying communications with a concentration in media and film who is also the assistant program director spoke of his dedication to Kean Radio.

"Besides being the assistant program director at the radio station, I am a computer assistant  in the Miron Student Center (MSC). After college, I want to work for an actual radio station and being a part of WKNJ will give me a taste of what I aspire to do professionally," said Wilson. "I heard about the station when I came to Kean for an open house. I wanted to pursue this because I wanted to join something on campus, and I was in serious need to find an outlet to express myself."

Wilson's show is called The Devin Hour and on the show he talks about pop culture and music. Sometimes he ventures into serious and controversial topics that affects society today as well as politics.  

"My first show wasn't the best! Til this day I refuse to listen to it because I was super nervous and could barely talk. I didn't even know how to work the equipment, so my mic was so low but I learned from it and now I love sharing my perspective with the Kean community," Wilson explained.

Joining the radio station is actually the best thing that has ever happened to him. It allowed him to meet so many like minded people and make true friendships that are cherished. By next semester he will take on the role as program director.

Patricia Cenit, a freshman studying graphic design in interactive, print, and screen, also expressed WKNJ as a way to express herself.

"Everything that I'm a part of on campus entertains at least one part of what makes me me. Filipinos Uniting Nations at Kean (FUNK) is a cultural group that promotes awareness of the Filipino culture. Along with that comes choir and chorale which expresses my love for music and performance, my job at the Cougar's Byte went alongside with my major and gave me the work experience I needed, and WKNJ adds on to my love for listening to and appreciating music. WKNJ could help me in the future because I manage everything on my own for my show. It's a very self-sufficient process, which, I feel, is a good trait to have," said Cenit.

Like other first year students, Cenit was looking through a list of extracurricular activities that she could get involved with, and this searching pushed her to have a radio show that would follow her image as the person that always talks about music and her favorite artists. 

"My radio show is called Send Tunes, and I play music from up and coming artists, with a focus on female and minority musicians. With the music in my show, I hope to give the artists I play a little bit of the boost that they need and deserve," Cenit explained. "My first show went better than I could have expected. Since our speakers in the studio were louder than usual at the time, I was jamming out at full blast with the windows open and just generally having a fun time."

The passion that drives her show is the passion to promote great artists that haven't had the same amount of opportunities yet to put themselves out there. 

"Having this opportunity at a campus level is a good starting point to getting their voices out there," said Cenit.

For students interested in being a part of WKNJ-FM or want to learn more about the radio station, visit Cougar Radio or contact Beyanka Wheatley at wheatleb@kean.edu for more information. 

Have you ever wanted to be on the radio? Swing by the radio station on the fourth floor in the Center for Academic Sucess and get on the air! For more information: https://www.wknj903.com/