Fueled by Food

A look at Kean's Gourmet Dining

Fueled by Food

Let Gourmet Dining fuel your success!

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor

Kean's Gourmet Dining is comprised of six different food venues. If this large variety is still not enough to satisfy students' hunger, the Residence Dining Hall also offers a cooking station for students to make their own food.

Students are free to choose from The Cougar's Den, Miron Student Center Food Court, Miron Student Center Lobby, Residence Dining Hall, Starbucks and STEM Kiosk. 

Most notably is the Residence Dining Hall located in the New Upperclassmen Residence Hall for its wide selection and convenience. The Residence Dining Hall is most typically used by resident students but is also open to the public. 

Its hours are as follows:

• Mondays - Thursday: 7:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.
  • Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
  • Saturday: 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
  • Sunday: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.

While resident students may rely on a certain number of meal swipes from their meal plan, anyone is able to purchase a one time fee at the door in order to access the buffet offered at the Residence Dining Hall. 

For breakfast, the hall typically offers eggs, roasted potatoes, sausage, bacon, pancakes and french toast.

There is also an available cereal selection of Lucky Charms, Cheerios, Frosted Flakes and Wheaties. Moreover, there are bagels, croissants, muffins and a waffle making station. 

For lunch and dinner there are always vegan, starch and two entree options. There is always pizza, chicken tenders, fries, hot dogs and hamburgers. There is also a salad bar, sandwich making bar and soup station. Drinks vary from types of milks, juices and sodas.

Interestingly, there is also a saute station with a chef on hand to cook students a meal of their choice if none of these options are to their liking. Furthermore, students may opt to create their own dishes at the "Make Your Own" station.

Residence Dining Hall

At both of these stations, students can choose to cook noodles, pasta or rice and have an assortment of ingredients to add including vegetables, meats, sauces and seasonings.

Edward Diaz, a freshman computer science major, shared his favorite Philly cheese steak recipe. "If you go to the sub station, grab yourself an Italian roll, bring it over to the stir fry station, and ask for steak, onion, jalapeno and cheese, you can make your own custom cheese steak."

Galaxy Douglas, a sophomore biology and business double major, mentions that she often makes steak stir fry with white rice. "You put together bean sprouts, spring onions, spinach, onions, and you fry them all in butter to be healthier."

There is something for everyone to enjoy here at Kean University. Let Kean's Gourmet Dining fuel your success!

Abigail Anne Rafael - web

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor
rafaela@kean.edu

Abigail Anne Rafael is the Senior Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and first joined staff in January 2018. She is a communication major with a concentration in public relations. Abigail aims to inspire and motivate readers with her writing. After graduating from Kean, she hopes to work for a Catholic company to dispel mistruths about the Church.