Kean Makes Strides Against Breast Cancer

Kean University shows awareness about breast cancer

Campus News > Kean Makes Strides Against Breast Cancer

Kean University strives to find ways to combat breast cancer!

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor

Kean University is known for bringing awareness to many issues, one of those being breast cancer. Breast cancer is a disease in which cancer cells form in the tissues of the breast. Over one in eight women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime, which is why Kean seeks to support and fight for breast cancer.

Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walks to unite communities by supporting each other and honoring those touched by the disease. They also raise awareness and funds to save lives from breast cancer. 

With the determination of their supporters, the American Cancer Society (ACS) funds innovative breast cancer research where they promote education and risk reduction. It also provides comprehensive patient support to those who need it most.  

Susan Figueroa, the managing assistant director for Community Service and Civic Engagement, spoke of the dedication Kean University and the Center for Leadership and Service put towards bringing awareness to breast cancer.

"Kean University continues to support the American Cancer Society throughout the month of October because the statistics are daunting with approximately 268,000 new cases of breast cancer being diagnosed each year in the USA and an estimated 41,000 deaths. Breast Cancer is so widespread and therefore has impacted so many Kean families," said Figueroa. 

The Center for Leadership and Service (CLS) takes the lead in organizing and fundraising for the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, but the Kean community helps by donating for the cause.

"Each year, students raise thousands of dollars in spare change.  In the past five years, over $30,000 has been raised to support the American Cancer Society through Making Strides," Figueroa explained. "The Center for Leadership and Service hosts a bake-off in which various students compete to see who can sell the most baked goods and raise the most funds. T-shirts and hoodies are sold throughout the month in order to raise money. Throughout Homecoming, alumni and students alike buy T-shirts to support the fundraising efforts."

Each year students are encouraged to participate in the Breast Cancer Kick Off on the first of every month by buying Kean Thinks Pink apparel and donating to bake sales.

"Students are touched by breast cancer because it has impacted their grandmothers, mothers, daughters, sisters, aunts and nieces. It has touched so many families in so many ways.  Survivors walk along supporters; students walk along staff, [and] in the end everyone participates in a different way. Some [participate] because they have lived the pain themselves or have watched the women in their lives suffer," said Figueroa. 

"Some [participate] because they celebrate the victory of overcoming. For the past three years, Kean University has been awarded third place in overall fundraising teams. Our success is based on our students and staff's generosity. Without them, we are not able to do anything."

Aside from this, the American Cancer Society hosted the 2018 Celebration of Gratitude on Friday, March 2 at the Green Turtle in North Brunswick, NJ.

This award dinner was an inspirational evening celebrating Making Strides Against Breast Cancer and the differences everyone is making to help breast cancer awareness.

The Celebration of Gratitude unites the top teams, participants, sponsors and volunteers to honor their commitment to the awareness of breast cancer.

The 2017 sponsors included:

• RWJ Barnabas Health
  • Ashley Homestore
  • Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey
  • Marriot
  • ProCure
  • Zinburger

Because being aware of breast cancer can make a difference, students can learn more about Making Strides Against Breast Cancer by visiting the American Cancer Society website.

Petruce Jean Charles - Web

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor
jeanchap@kean.edu

Petruce Jean-Charles is a senior majoring in communication with a concentration in journalism. In Spring 2017 she joined The Cougar's Byte staff. She is goal-driven and dedicated to accomplishing her goals, where she wishes to work for successful companies like Huffington Post or The Washington Post. In her free time, she enjoys listening to different artists and watching new horror and thriller movies.