The Third Annual Poetry Contest

This contest encourages Kean students to submit their own original poetry!

Campus News > The Third Annual Poetry Contest
The Third Annual Poetry Contest

Another contest serves as another opportunity for the Fourth Annual Poetry Contest. Photo Courtesy of School of English Studies.

Brandon Gervais, Editor

The Kean University English Department presents its Third Annual Poetry Contest! This contest is open to all Kean students of any major and year. Any style and subject of poetry is welcome to be submitted so long as it is completely original. The winning poems will be published in the Kean Literary Journal, and the winner will receive both a cash award and an honoring at the School of English Studies Award Ceremony on April 27. 

This contest gives creative control to all authors at Kean University. Any subject can be submitted for consideration. As long as the poems are original, any style and form is accepted. Applicants should submit 1-3 original poems, no longer than two pages each. The three poems can be connected or stand alone, meaning they can interconnect in subject or style, or they may each be different having its own complete subject and idea.

"This is our Third Annual Poetry Contest.  It is a wonderful opportunity for creative writers to share their work with the world.  Our judges and readers are accomplished poets and writers.  In addition to the cash prizes for the winners, all submissions will be published in the School of English Literary magazine, The Blank Slate," said Nira Gupta-Casale, M.Phil, Ph.D.

When submitting, do not include a name or ID on the pages with the poems. The contest is judged blindly, meaning the judges do not know the identity of the author of the poems they are judging. When submitting, include a cover sheet that has your name, student ID number, Kean email address, phone number and the names of your poems.

The deadline to submit for the Third Annual Poetry Contest is April 13. Submissions should be sent to Nira Gupta-Casale, M.Phil, Ph.D., Professor Sisler, or Professor Hart either through email or to their respective mailboxes located in the Center for Academic Success, Room 301. The emails should be sent in one file and sent to one of the following three emails: nscale@kean.edu, lsisler@kean.edu or thart@kean.edu.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.