Campus Away From Campus

Get to know East Campus better

Campus Life > Campus Away From Campus
Campus Away From Campus

Only a few trolley stops away from Main Campus, East Campus houses a myriad of resources such as the Nathan Weiss Graduate College that all students are welcome to utilize. 

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

Kean University has campuses across New Jersey as well as one in China. However, one campus that is around the corner that students may not be so familiar with is the East Campus, located on 215 North Avenue, in Hillside, New Jersey. 

East Campus houses a myriad of resources. First and foremost, the Nathan Weiss Graduate College resides at East Campus. The graduate college is home to five doctoral degrees, two professional diplomas, more than 50 master's degrees, and over 15 certification programs. Students who are looking to propel their education further are welcome to apply for the graduate college. By offering classes during all times of the day as well as weekends and upholding affordability for all prospective students, the Nathan Weiss Graduate College is both a convenient and optimal opportunity for students who want to take their education a step further.

In addition to the graduate college, the School of Psychology is also located at East Campus. All the psychology majors of Kean University are considerably familiar with East Campus as they have taken all their major courses inside those classrooms. 

As for students who have not had classes at East Campus or have only taken PSY 1000, East Campus can seem like a foreign and mysterious place. However, East Campus contains many of the awesome facets of the Main Campus.

East Campus has a place to eat, places to study, and places to relax. The North Avenue Cafe has many selections for hungry students such as coffee, pizza, wraps, and vegetarian options. Vending machines are also scattered throughout the building for snacks and drinks just in case one is pressed for time or not too hungry.

"I wish I knew that the food in the cafe was the best food you can get on campus," said Lorrana Rodriguez, a junior psychology major.  

If one finds themselves regretting the huge lunch they ate, they could always amble into the weight room, which is conveniently located inside East Campus. Fully equipped with barbells, dumbbells and effective machines to target any muscle group, the East Campus weight room is optimal for all students who look to keep in shape and alleviate stress throughout the semester. In addition to the weight room, students can access the gym where they can play basketball with other fellow students. After working up a sweat, they can freshen up in the adjacent locker rooms which have multiple showers.

Moreover, East Campus has a student lounge on the second floor. This place is always quiet and has a ton of seating area for students who seek to knock out some homework in their free time, study for their next class, or chat with classmates. At the back of the student lounge is a computer lab, which all students can access when there is no class going on. The computers have all the features a student could utilize, including SPSS and the campus printers. 

The Enlow Recital Hall is also located within East Campus. Many performances and concerts take place at this elegant theater situated in the heart of the grandiose building. 

East Campus certainly stands out. Echoing the sentiment of many students on campus, Gabriel Scholis-Fernandez, a junior psychology major, mentioned, "One thing that stands out about East Campus is the good amount of parking. The ease of parking at East Campus is so drastic and immediately distinguished by commuters, residents, and faculty." 

Jackeline Artiles, a junior psychology major, is also a huge fan of East Campus and believes it truly stands out. "I believe what makes East Campus stand out more is how we have the opportunity to see the same people over and over again, which can make it easier to create friends throughout the semester. In the main campus, it's harder to really see the same people and their patterns everyday as I usually do."   

Despite being only a few trolley stops away from the main campus, East Campus is widely unexplored by non-psychology majors. However, all students of all majors are welcome to utilize the many resources that reside at East Campus. 

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.Â