Financial Aid 101

How students can pave their way through financial aid

Campus News > Financial Aid 101
Financial Aid 101

Kean University hopes to provide financial assistance to all its students

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor

When considering the ideal college to attend, it is essential to look at the financial aspects involved. Questions like "What assistance is provided?" or "What can be done to ensure financial success?" should be asked. 

Kean University is known as one of the most affordable comprehensive universities in New Jersey. Alongside this it works with students to provide the maximum financial support and assistance for new and continuing students.

In order to become eligible for financial aid, students should first fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). It is important for all college students to submit a FAFSA to see if they are eligible for financial assistance, regardless of their circumstance.

The Office of Financial Aid is dedicated to educating students regarding the various aid programs that make attending college affordable for all. In order for students to receive financial aid, they should understand what options they have. Kean University offers financial aid in the form of scholarships, grants, loans and federal work-study

Scholarships are awarded based on special talents, skills, or high academic achievement. The Office of Scholarship Services is involved in providing quality service and scholarships for its students through the Kean University Foundation Scholarships. 

These scholarships are available to help qualified undergraduate and graduate students of every race, ethnicity, gender and creed meet the financial requirements of attending college. 

Some scholarships include: 

The Kean University Foundation Scholarship Application is online from Oct. 1, 2018 through March 1, 2019, with a priority deadline of Feb. 1 for incoming freshmen. Here is the scholarship timeline:

• Dec. 1 - Kean University Scholarship Application is posted online
  • Feb. 1 - Incoming Freshman Priority Scholarship Application deadline
  • Feb. 28 - Incoming Freshman Priority award announcements
  • March 1 - Kean University Scholarship Application deadline
  • March 31 - Incoming Freshman priority award and non-award announcements
  • April 15 - Incoming Freshman award and non-award announcements
  • June 15 - Undergraduate and Graduate award and non-award announcements
  • July 15 - Award acceptance forms and thank you letters due
  • July 15 through Aug. 1 - Awards posted in student KeanWise accounts

Grants are awarded to students who show they have financial need and do not require repayment. Here is a list of grants:

Loans are an option of aid that must be repaid usually with interest after the student has graduated or stopped going to school. The types of loans are as follows:

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a program where students can work and earn money to help pay for school. This is a helpful tool that allows students to take on leadership and communication skills necessary for the workplace. 

Available federal work-study jobs may include:  

• General office work
  • Off-Campus community service
  • Tutoring
  • Event staff
  • Research assistants
  • Computer lab attendants

If students have any more questions regarding financial aid or their eligibility for an award, students can email the financial aid office at finaid@kean.edu, call (973) 737-3190 or stop by on the first floor of the Administrative Building.

Petruce Jean Charles - Web

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor
jeanchap@kean.edu

Petruce Jean-Charles is a senior majoring in communication with a concentration in journalism. In Spring 2017 she joined The Cougar's Byte staff. She is goal-driven and dedicated to accomplishing her goals, where she wishes to work for successful companies like Huffington Post or The Washington Post. In her free time, she enjoys listening to different artists and watching new horror and thriller movies.