Giving Children A Jumpstart

How to get involved with an organization dedicated to children's learning

Features > Giving Children A Jumpstart
Giving Children A Jumpstart
Jumpstart Corps members implement the Jumpstart curriculum in preschool classrooms across the country and serve as an aid to teachers. Corps members serve on a team with 5-7 peers and work directly with a local Jumpstart staff member on training, session planning, service opportunities, and more.
Brandon Gervais, Editor
Jumpstart 17-18

Kean University has established itself as a hub for education and continuous learning. This extends to young children through the Jumpstart program. 

Jumpstart is an organization dedicated to facilitating the growth and development of children in their early years of life. In addition to this dedication to children, they support college students who are interested in helping them complete their organization's goals by recruiting and training students to lead preschool children. 

Jumpstart

Jumpstart focuses on putting a child's education first. 

Partnered with 3,500 college students and community volunteers, Jumpstart's curriculum develops language and literacy skills preschool children will need when entering kindergarten. Jumpstart is partnered with Kean University and has since accrued over 9,000 service hours committed to the development of young children in preschool partners in Elizabeth, New Jersey.

Jumpstart 17-18

To further their goals, Jumpstart is always looking for inspired students to join their team to learn about child development and to care and prepare children for kindergarten. Kean students who want to make a difference can apply to join the Jumpstart team for the fall semester now. As a member, student applicants can expect professional training in working toward child success both academically and socially. Jumpstart members work 8 - 10 hours per week during the semesters filled with the following tasks: 

• Jumpstart sessions with team and partner children
  • Team planning meetings, which include planning and reflection
  • Communicating with partner child’s family and sharing strategies for extending learning
  • Participating in intensive pre-service and on-going training
  • Attending periodic service days, often held on weekends

"Jumpstart is an organization that allows students to gain valuable experience within a classroom that will help them when they graduate and look for employment. These students are impacting the lives of preschool children in under-resourced communities and helping those children become more prepared for school by promoting their language, literacy, and social emotional skills," said Caroline Antonio, the associate site manager for Jumpstart.

Jumpstart 17-18

Jumpstart is looking for students who are dedicated and able to give full commitment to the organization. "Dedication to the children is the most important aspect of our program and is one of the main qualities we look for in our applicants," said Antonio.

Not limited to just education majors, Jumpstart is for anyone interested in bettering the life of a young child and opening them up to a world of learning while gaining valuable skills. The skills a member of Jumpstart will gain can be used in a variety of professions. Some of the benefits from working with Jumpstart include: 

• Gaining classroom experience
  • Developing communication skills and learn how to work with a team 
  • Building connections
  • Learning new skill sets
  • Interacting with professionals within the education field
  • Helping our program partner children expand their knowledge
  • Experiencing what it takes to be committed to an organization 

Jumpstart is currently hiring for the 2018-2019 academic year. To learn more and apply, please visit www.jstart.org/apply

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.