Homecoming 2018: Return of the Cougars

A glimpse at all the activities that promise to make this year's homecoming weekend great

Campus News > Homecoming 2018: Return of the Cougars
Homecoming 2018: Return of the Cougars
Zoe Strozewski, Staff Writer

This year's homecoming festivities are taking place from Wednesday, Oct. 17 to Sunday, Oct. 21. This year’s theme is a blast from the past that aims to delight the young and old alike: Star Wars.

Student Organization's Homecoming Concert featuring Lil' Baby is kicking off homecoming week. The concert will take place on Wednesday, Oct. 17, at 8 p.m. in Wilkins Theatre. Kean student tickets will be on sale at the Wilkins Theatre Box Office for $20 each.

The following night on Thursday, Oct. 18, the Kean University Greek Senate will be hosting the Homecoming Party in Downs Hall from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Tickets will be sold through the Wilkins Theatre Box Office.

Homecoming Preview

Students work the booths at last year's superhero-themed homecoming tailgate.

On Friday, Oct 19, the Student Organization P.U.L.S.E. Programming Board will be hosting a pep rally in Harwood Arena. This is taking place at 6 p.m. and will include introductions of Kean’s athletic teams, as well as various competitions and performances to boost school spirit.

Liberty Hall is also hosting multiple events throughout the weekend. Ghost Tours, in which museum staff will speak of their paranormal experiences and lead guests on a candlelit tour, will be given Friday, Oct. 19. In order to attend one of these tours, interested students must either call 908-527-0400 or visit kean.edu/libertyhall/ to make reservations.

There will also be four showings of “Black Tom Island,” a play about the United States first recorded terrorist attack in Jersey City from the perspective of two Slovak immigrants. These showings will take place in the Carriage House at 8 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 19; 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 20; and 3 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 21. Anyone who wishes to attend must call (908) 737-7469 to make a reservation.

On both Saturday and Sunday, Liberty Hall will be participating in “Four Centuries in a Weekend,” a Union county-sponsored event in which all historical house museums are going to be giving free tours. Saturday’s free hours will be 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., while Sunday’s free hours will be noon to 5 p.m.

Kean’s Theatre Conservatory is also featuring one of its final productions of “Blood Wedding” on Friday night. This play tells the tragic story of two Spanish families in the midst of a love triangle and an arranged marriage, and will be taking place at 8 p.m. in the Zella Fry Theatre.

The Student Tailgate will be on Saturday, Oct. 20 at 10 a.m. in the Harwood Arena parking lot, while the Homecoming Carnival will be starting a half hour later at the Kean Hall Lot. Like in past years, the carnival will give students the chance to celebrate the day with inflatable rides, games, food, and prizes. 

Next on the day’s agenda is the Homecoming game. The football team will be facing off against William Patterson at 1 p.m. in the Alumni Stadium. Kean’s field hockey and women’s soccer teams will have games later that day in the Alumni Stadium at 5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. respectively.

Men’s lacrosse will host an alumni game Sunday morning at 10 a.m. on East Campus’ intramural field. 

Later, Gina Chavez, a singer-songwriter and nine-time winner of the Austin Music Award, will be closing out the weekend with a performance at the Enlow Recital Hall at 3 p.m.

For a complete timeline of the events, students can visit https://www.kean.edu/homecoming/.

Zoe Strozewski - Web

Zoe Strozewski, Staff Writer
strozewz@kean.edu 

Zoe Strozewski is a sophomore majoring in communications with a focus on journalism. She joined The Cougar's Byte as a staff writer in February 2018.  In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, listening to music and playing for Kean's women's volleyball team.  In the future, she hopes to spend her days reporting on politics, music, and social issues as a writer for The New Yorker or Rolling Stone