Kean Athletics

Athletes of each sport compete tooth and nail each year

Campus Life > Kean Athletics
Kean Athletics

The Kean Alumni Stadium, the largest sports facility on campus, is quite the sight at night.

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

Athletics here at Kean is key to the development of each student involved. The role of student-athlete is donned with pride by each athlete, manifesting on the field through their exceptional effort and indomitable determination. 

Kean University offers a total of 14 NCAA Division III programs. Each sport is a part of the New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC). For men, Kean University offers baseball, basketball, football, lacrosse, soccer and volleyball. For women, Kean offers basketball, field hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis and volleyball. Prospective students and sports lovers alike can catch any of these sports at the top-tier facilities on campus.

The Jim Hynes '63 Baseball Stadium is the home of the Kean University baseball program. The stadium possesses a capacity of 700 and features FieldTurf, which was installed a little over a year ago.  

Kean University provides student-athletes with first-rate facilities for the development of strength and stamina and for the showcasing of their skill and talent. The Jim Hynes '63 Baseball Stadium is the place where Kean University baseball program dominates. With a capacity of 700, the stadium houses fans who have come to watch the Cougars thrive on the recently installed FieldTurf. The baseball team ended the past season 21-23 and seek to improve on all levels next season. 

Adjacent to the baseball stadium is the Cougar Softball Field. It is on this field that the softball program accumulated a 13-6 home record in the 2018 season. They ended the season 26-12, collectively achieving a .321 batting average and nine home runs.

Serving as the largest sports facility on campus, the Kean Alumni Stadium provides seating for 5,300 spectators. The stadium is now equipped with FieldTurf, an eight lane track, lights, a press box and two Daktronics scoreboards after being updated four years ago.

Football, men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse, men's soccer, women's soccer and women's field hockey all play at the Kean Alumni Stadium and anticipate to improve in every facet of the game for the upcoming season.    

In addition to the Cougar Softball Field and the Kean Alumni Stadium, Kean University also is home to Harwood Arena. Containing both the men's and women's basketball and volleyball programs, Harwood Arena also houses the athletic department offices. The arena features basketball and volleyball courts, an indoor jogging track and seating for 2,500 spectators. Harwood Arena continues to serve as a bustling hub for athletics. 

In addition to the larger fields and stadiums, Kean University also has a six lane pool in the D'Angola Gymnasium, a top-tier weight room in the Carole Hynes Field House and a highly equipped Athletic Training Rehabilitation Center for all athletes to improve both physically and mentally.

Overall, Kean University provides its student-athletes with astonishing avenues to dominate in each sport. With all the available resources, student-athletes can attain their highest potential and enhance every facet of their game. Lessons learned on the field, on a team, and on one's own can ultimately benefit each member of athletics beyond their undergraduate years.  

For more information, scores, and schedules, visit the Kean Athletics website.  

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.Â