Stay Active With Intramurals And Recreation

Keep in shape throughout the semesters with fun activities on campus

Campus Life > Stay Active With Intramurals And Recreation

Intramurals are instituted to bring fun, competitive sports like volleyball to Kean students, faculty and staff.

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

Remaining active can slide to the back burner for many students, especially with other responsibilities requiring more time and effort. However, both intramurals and recreation can keep students fit and competitive throughout the semesters in an extremely fun manner.

Intramurals is open to all students, faculty and staff who are currently enrolled or employed during that semester. Outside guests are not permitted to participate in any of the intramural sports. Intramurals are instituted to bring competitive sports to Kean students, faculty and staff, not to guests or non-registered individuals.

Intramurals offers the following sports: 

The 5 on 5 Basketball League starts in the spring semester. All games are housed in the Harwood Arena and are slated for Tuesday and Thursday from 6 to 9 p.m. There is a maximum of 10 players per team. Moreover, uniforms are not provided, so teams should take it upon themselves to develop cool uniforms. Although team jerseys are not required, each team member must wear the same color shirt.

Indoor soccer is open to all and does not require registration. Participants can visit Harwood Arena on Mondays from 6 to 10 p.m. Students can play in multiple pickup games without needing a team.

Flag football commences in the fall semester. Both the men's and women's flag football leagues take place on the Alumni Stadium football field. Games are played each hour from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. It is free to sign up

Co-ed dodgeball takes place on Thursdays from 6 to 10 p.m. in Harwood Arena. Like indoor soccer, dodgeball does not require prior registration. Thus, if one ever feels like pegging a few individuals before cramming for test, they should stop by Harwood for some action-packed dodgeball.

Open gym volleyball takes place during the fall semester from 6 to 10 p.m. on Wednesdays in Harwood Arena. No registration is required and only current students, faculty, and staff are allowed to participate. All are welcome to enjoy their fair share of aces and digs in a competitive, yet fun atmosphere. 

The fascinating part about intramurals is that students are not limited to just those sports at those designated times. With an open gym mentality, students are free to decide with each other whichever indoor sports they desire to play at the moment. 

Dan Sires, the coordinator for Intramurals and Recreation, said that, "the schedules serve as a guideline about what students can do at the gym."

In terms of recreation, much of the classes are still to be announced for the fall semester, so students who are interested can visit the website for the times when they are posted. Nonetheless, the classes are free to all students, faculty and staff. Some classes include yoga, Zumba, cardio kickboxing, step aerobics and more.

Before making a trip to the gym or indoor track, students are encouraged to peruse the recreation schedule, which displays the times for the pool, gym, fitness center and indoor track during the fall semester.

Intramurals ultimately seeks to get started for the fall semester on Sept. 17. 

For more information on intramurals and recreation, email Dan Sires or recreation@kean.edu.

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.Â