Take a Peak and Meet the Greeks!

Meet the Greeks will take place on Wednesday, Sept. 12

Campus News > Take a Peak and Meet the Greeks!
Take a Peak and Meet the Greeks!

Meet the Greeks is an event that takes place to develop student involvement within Greek organizations, so come down and visit!

Ever considered joining Greek life, but have no clue where to start? Begin the fall semester with an interesting event like Meet the Greeks.

The Greek Senate at Kean University will be hosting Meet the Greeks on Wednesday, Sept. 12 from 5 to 10 p.m. in Harwood Arena, where students will be introduced to various organizations. 

Kean students with a valid ID will be able to enter for free, while non-Kean students and alumni will be charged five dollars. Students should also be aware that bags are not permitted and metal detectors will be in place. Students can expect to receive their tickets the day before the event in the Harwood Lobby. 

Kean University is proud to say that their Greek life is an organization that values the promotion of scholarships, service leadership, campus involvement, and brotherhood/sisterhood.

The Greek Senate consists of President Victor Benlice, Vice President of Standards and Conduct Nina Romano, Vice President of Multicultural Affairs and Community Service Roshorn Shivers, Vice President of Programming Gabriella Lapointe, Vice President of Rush and New Member Development Shay Gomis, Treasurer Maria Aponte, Secretary Tiffany Osoria and all of the Greek organization representatives that represent each Greek letter organization at Kean. 

This team works together every semester to ensure that events like Meet the Greek run smoothly and ultimately influence prospective members. 

Through Greek life students can foster a plethora of skills such as leadership development, interpersonal skills, values connected with community service and communication skills. If one is a freshman or transfer, they will be able to learn about the positive outcomes of Greek life, giving them an opportunity to be a part of a group of influential members. 

Greek Life Specialist Melissa Antonio is excited for prospective members to be interactive and connect with others.

"This year, students can expect to have more interaction with the Greek organizations presenting themselves. One thing that we have changed from last year is waiting until the performances start to pull out the bleachers to highly encourage students to walk around and learn more about Greek life. Students can also expect the amazing performances some organizations work their hardest to give every semester!"

For students still debating on attending Meet the Greeks, Antonio would like those students to know that many opportunities will come for those who seek to be active on campus. With over 33 Greek organizations, the evening will be filled with performances, food and conversation. 

"Meet the Greeks is a fun-filled event that includes performances and the chance for new students to make friends," said Antonio. "This is the moment when all Greek organizations at Kean can showcase what they stand for and who they are for prospective students to see. This can affect or help a student's way of college life by giving them the chance to be a part of a group on campus that shares similar values with them."

Lastly, Antonio spoke of the impact Meet the Greeks had on her and how it has helped her develop a need for involvement at Kean.

"My first Meet the Greeks experience was one that highly impacted my college path. It was where I discovered the organization I am a proud member of today, and it is because of the skills I developed through that organization that I am even where I am today. Along with other groups, Meet the Greeks was the main pathway to becoming as involved on campus as I am, and I know it can open that door for many others as well."

All proceeds will go to the Kean Dance Marathon (KDM), which helps raise money for the Children’s Specialized Hospital in Mountainside, N.J. 

For more information, please contact the Center for Leadership and Service, located in Miron Student Center Room 219, by calling (908) 737-5170, emailing cls@kean.edu or visiting Greek life.

So save the date and come down to Meet the Greeks!