Fraternal Charity Futbol Cup

Fraternities compete in a soccer tournament fundraiser

Campus News > Fraternal Charity Futbol Cup
Fraternal Charity Futbol Cup
This friendly soccer tournament will pit the fraternities against each other in competition for a noble cause.
Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

On Oct. 14, Lambda Theta Phi Fraternity Inc. will be hosting their first annual Fraternal Charity Futbol Cup from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Kean Alumni Stadium. This event will be centered around competition and charity in hopes of raising a ton of awareness and donations for the Children's Specialized Hospital and the Special Olympics of New Jersey. 

The Fraternal Charity Futbol Cup is a soccer tournament involving some of the fraternities on campus. The participating fraternities are Nu Sigma Phi, Lambda Upsilon Lambda, Lambda Sigma Upsilon and Sigma Theta Chi. This friendly tournament will pit the fraternities against each other in competition for a noble cause.

Lucas Lopez, vice president of the Lambda Theta Phi Fraternity Inc., emphasizes the goal of the Fraternal Charity Futbol Cup. 

Lambda Futbol Cup.jpg

“The motto of this event is ‘En La Union Esta La Fuerza,' which translates to ‘In Unity There Is Strength.' I want everyone to see the impact that Kean organizations can have on the community if we all come together to help those who are less fortunate,” Lopez said. 

By unifying a few fraternities through friendly competition for a worthy cause, the participants will grow and mesh together in unique ways that are not always available. Moreover, raising money for the Children’s Specialized Hospital further cultivates the relationship that Greek organizations and Greek life as a whole share with the hospital. 

The Children’s Specialized Hospital is located in Mountainside, New Jersey.  

The hospital is often the recipient of the funds raised by Greek organizations and Greek life. Last spring semester for Kean Dance Marathon, $53,875 were raised and donated to the Children’s Specialized Hospital. The Greek organizations participating in the Fraternal Charity Futbol Cup seek to contribute to the Children’s Specialized Hospital and the NJ Special Olympics in a similar fashion. 

So stop by the Kean Alumni Stadium Sunday, Oct. 14 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m and enjoy a competitive game of soccer that will ultimately benefit those in need while uniting the participating fraternities. 

For more information on the Fraternal Charity Futbol Cup, visit the Cougar Link event page. For more information on Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity Inc., please visit their Cougar Link page

Anyone wishing to contribute to the fundraiser may do so online through a GoFundMe page setup at https://www.gofundme.com/lambda-theta-phi-futbol-charity-cup.

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.