Calling All Novelists

The English Department offers a relaxing space for student writers to create novels in celebration of National Novel Writing Month

Campus News > Calling All Novelists
Calling All Novelists

To celebrate and participate in National Novel Writing Month, the English Department is offering a space to promote student creativity.

Brandon Gervais, Editor

In honor and celebration of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), the English Department at Kean University is holding weekly Write-In Cafe events every Tuesday and Thursday from 3:30-4:30 p.m.

All throughout November, the English Department will be hosting this event to foster creativity to students, staff and faculty who are attending. Located in the Center for Academic Success (CAS) Room 315, there will be pencils, paper, coffee, tea, light snacks, low-volume ambient music and writing prompts to get creativity flowing.

These events are inspired by November being National Novel Writing Month. Participants for this event are encouraged to submit their projects to the official website for National Novel Writing Month. On this website your words will count to the regions total and work towards the promotion of literacy and creativity.

National Novel Writing Month is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that promotes the importance of stories. Formally known as the Office of Letters and Light, the nonprofit's mission statement believes in the transformational power of creativity and work towards encouraging people to find both their literary and real world voices. The goal for participants is to complete a 50,000 word novel in a month. The website helps to track the progress, give support and give participants a community of people with similar goals. National Novel Writing Month is celebrated all over the world and on the NaNoWriMo website it can be seen the word counts for each region.

No matter the form of the writing project participants are looking to complete or begin, the English Department encourages students to come and work on them in a creative and open space surrounded by other authors. This event, while hosted by the English Department, is open to all students, staff and faculty of any major. 

The English Department at Kean University offers five different undergraduate degrees and one graduate program. As an English major, students will be exposed to a variety of literature and writing that helps to build the solid foundation and advanced catalog of readings the student needs. The five majors include: English literature, English writing, English in global studies, English with teacher certification and English with teaching students with disabilities. English graduates from Kean have gone on to work in a large variety of careers.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.