Health Services Is Here For All

There for students when they need them the most

Features > Health Services Is Here For All
Health Services Is Here For All

Located in Downs Hall, Room 126, the Student Health Services assists students in dealing with physical and mental health concerns with the purpose of enhancing students' academic experience.

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

Kean University seeks to create an environment conducive to academic learning and personal development. Student Health Services intends to remove the hindrances and worry associated with physical and mental health.    

The Student Health Services assists students in dealing with physical and mental health concerns with the purpose of enhancing students' academic experience. Located in Downs Hall, Room 126, both residents and commuters can access Student Health Services. 

The Student Health Services is available through fall, spring and summer semesters. From Monday to Friday, it is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the fall and spring semesters.

The Student Health Services can meet the various needs of all students at any time. When students are feeling under the weather, they can receive primary care from the Student Health Services. Illnesses and conditions such as the cold and flu, allergies, urinary tract infections, physicals, injuries and more can be treated at the office.  

Furthermore, Student Health Services encourages female students to visit the office with questions and concerns about their sexual health. Gynecology appointments for routine breast and pelvic exams, pap tests, birth control, STI and HIV testing and any relevant complaints can be set easily by visiting "Schedule an Appointment" page on their website. Appointments can be made whether individuals are sexually active or not. 

For more information on the services provided, check out their website.

In addition to primary care and physicals, Student Health Services has a program known as Fit to be Kean. Essentially, Fit to be Kean is a set of group exercise classes designed to promote health and fitness on campus. 

A large variety of classes are offered to cater to the preferences of students. Zumba, Cougar Circuits, Pound, Total Body Conditioning and Cardio Kickboxing are just a handful of the classes Fit to be Kean offers. It is important to note that all classes are taught by certified instructors, so students are getting top-notch instruction and fitness tips from professionals.

For more information and schedule updates, check out Fit to be Kean's Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook under the username @fittobekean in addition to their website. 

Want to schedule an appointment? The Student Health Services uses the pyraMED online electronic medical records system to schedule appointments. To do so, one must register for a pyraMED account at http://kean.studenthealthportal.com/. This will allow for the scheduling and cancelling of appointments. 

PyraMED also allows students to view and control their medical information. All information in one’s pyraMED account is confidential and has no effect on one’s academic record.

Any medical questions can be answered daily by a member of the Kean University Student Health Services nursing staff. Questions are always kept confidential, and responses can be expected within one to two days after submission. Questions can be sent to hsnurses@kean.edu

For more information on how to schedule appointments or what services are provided, visit the the Student Health Services office website

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.