Everything To Know About Parking

Tips on how to park successfully at Kean

Essentials > Everything To Know About Parking
Everything To Know About Parking

With the parking ePermit, students, faculty, staff and visitors can park in the proper areas on campus. 

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

With each year that passes, Kean University finds ways to bolster its parking situation so that it is suitable for the amount of students, faculty and staff that frequent the campus. The majority of students are predominantly commuters; therefore, it is important to create enough space to accommodate each student.

With the parking ePermit, students, faculty, staff and visitors can park in the proper areas on campus. The ePermit is free and available to all active students, faculty and staff. Annual passes are valid from Sept. 1 to Aug. 31. 

AD Parking ePermit - 550px

Freshmen are not permitted to have cars on campus. Exceptions can be made, but they require proper proof from employers or medical personnel. All requests for exceptions should be directed to the Office of Residential Services (RSS) located in Whiteman Hall. To contact them, email reslife@kean.edu or call (908) 737-6800. 

Students can park in the white-lined spaces at any time. After 5 p.m., students are allowed to park in the yellow-lined spaces. For overnight parking, students can keep their cars past the the orange curb in the back of the Vaughn-Eames parking lot.

Faculty and staff with active employment can park in the yellow-lined spaces at any time. They can also park in white-lined spaces, but the yellow-lined spots are reserved specifically for faculty and staff. For overnight parking, they may park in any non-reserved white or yellow-lined space. 

For handicapped parking, individuals should have the disability parking placards visible in their vehicle. The required forms can be attained at the New Jersey Department of Motor Vehicle website. For those who already possess a disability parking placard, they can upload a photo of it during the ePermit registration. 

Visitor parking is located in the Visitor's Lot between Kean Hall and the Administration Building. Visitors must check in at the security booth at the entrance of the parking lot. Moreover, visitors are allowed to park in any white-lined space. Visitors can keep their cars overnight in the lot between North Avenue and the orange curb in the Vaughn-Eames Lot. However, if one plans on staying overnight in the residence halls, it is imperative that they obtain a three-day parking pass. 

Note that all parking lots are restricted save for those who qualify with: 

• Handicapped license plates or placards
  • Yellow-lined parking spaces, unless one is a member of faculty or staff
  • Medical Parking 
  • Physical Therapy
  • Day Care Center
  • Office of Small Business
  • Board of Trustees
  • Loading Zones
  • State Vehicles
  • Police Vehicle Parking
  • Union Train Station and other signed/reserved spaces.

All violation notices are dealt out by the Kean University and the Municipal Police. Violations of parking regulations are subject to a fine that must be paid or appealed within 15 days. Violation notices will be emailed to an individual's Kean University email address, followed by another email after 15 days if the violation notice is not paid or appealed. It's important to know that appeals are not handled in person. For more information on violations and appeals, contact parking@kean.edu.  

For more information on parking, visit Parking Services.   

During peak hours of the day, parking is much harder to find. Thus commuters may find it more convenient to utilize the shuttle bus/trolley service. The shuttle bus/trolley service runs regularly Monday to Thursday from 7:15 a.m. to 10:44 p.m. and Friday from 7:15 a.m. to 6 p.m. Shuttle buses and trolleys stop at six locations across campus:

• Wilkins Theatre (PA)
  • Liberty Hall Campus/Science, Technology and Mathematics (STEM) parking lot
  • East Campus parking lot C
  • East Campus parking lot A
  • Hennings Hall, by the flag pole
  • Kean Hall parking lot, closest to Green Lane Academic Building (GLAB)

For more information regarding parking, please visit the parking services website or contact parking@kean.edu.  

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.Â