Let's Talk Money

Know the difference between Kean Bucks and Cougar Cash

Essentials > Let's Talk Money
Let's Talk Money

Kean Bucks and Cougar Cash are currencies that allow students the opportunity to explore eateries on and off campus.

As Kean University students, understanding and utilizing the opportunities and benefits provided proves to be advantageous. With conveniences within the academic, athletics and financial aid realms, there are many options offered to ensure students get what they paid for. With that in mind, there are many currencies at Kean for students to indulge in, including Kean Bucks and Cougar Cash. 

Created in 2017, Cougar Cash made its debut as a source students could use throughout Union, on and off campus. Since there are many eateries on campus, this currency was implemented to allow students the opportunity to explore various options. 

Students should also note that Cougar Cash is supplied as part of the University meal plans, hence the connection with the Unlimited Meal Plan or the Block Meal Plan.

Moreover, Cougar Cash is non-refundable and will roll over from fall to spring semester but will expire at the end of the spring semester. 

The many eateries that accept Cougar Cash include:

• The Residence Dining Hall
  • The Miron Student Center Cafeteria
  • The Cougar's Den
  • Starbucks in the library and in Center for Academic Success (CAS) third floor
  • Smashburger
  • Auntie Anne's
  • Jersey Mike's Subs
  • Outtakes
  • Barnes and Noble Café
  • Au Bon Pain
  • Applebee's
  • Bonchon Chicken
  • Koki Buffet
  • Rock 'n' Joes
  • Tropicana Diner

On the other spectrum of Kean currencies, Kean Bucks is a reward for students who are enrolled in weekend classes during the fall and spring semesters. 

Students enrolled in Friday classes that start after 3:30 p.m., alongside Saturday classes before noon are eligible for $50 per credit. Students are also eligible to earn $100 per credit for Saturday classes that start after noon. 

Kean Bucks ultimately expire a year after they are issued. Moreover, they are only available when a student is registered and the term is in session. Thus, it is important to remember to use one's Kean Bucks during semesters in which they are currently registered for class and before graduation.

As a reminder, students should do their due diligence in maintaining good standing with the University as well as managing any holds to their account. Any holds relating to student accounting will temporarily impede the use of a student's ID card, preventing the use of Kean Bucks. Whenever a hold appears on one's account, it is vital to take the proper steps to rectify it as soon as possible. 

Kean Bucks can be used in the following areas on campus:

• The Residence Dining Hall
  • The Miron Student Center Cafeteria
  • The Cougar’s Den
  • Both Starbucks
  • Smashburger
  • Auntie Anne’s
  • Jersey Mike’s Subs
  • Outtakes
  • Barnes and Noble Café
  • Barnes and Noble Campus bookstore
  • Au Bon Pain
  • Northside Cafe

For more information on these currencies mentioned, students can visit Kean Bucks or Cougar Cash websites. In addition, students can visit previous articles on Kean currencies and Cougar Cash.