Enthralled with Being Involved

Involvement Week captivated students during the week of Feb. 4 through Feb. 10

Campus Life > Enthralled with Being Involved
Enthralled with Being Involved
Brandon Gervais, Editor

Involvement Week was a chance for students to be interactive with the campus community, meet new people and learn about the opportunities they have available to them. A series of events were scheduled by the Involvement Center to get students to enjoy fun events, get information and explore their personal wellness. Held every semester, Involvement Week falls right around the third week of the semester. Typically around this time student involvement begins to subside. The Involvement Center uses Involvement Week to combat this and gain student interest in the options available to them. 

The Shazam It! event took place in the Miron Student Center (MSC) Cougar's Den Monday, Feb. 4 from 6 to 8 p.m. and was meant for students to put their music knowledge to the test in a fun way. Contestants were asked to listen to songs without knowing the artist or title and be the first to guess the name of the song. 

Shazam It (28)

The Eat N' Play: Black History Trivia occurred Feb. 5 in the Cougar's Den. This specific Eat N' Play was Black History themed so the questions related to different key parts of black history and historical figures.  

In addition to the events dedicated to student involvement, the week offered many workshops that promoted students' overall personal wellness. The wellness workshops all happened together Feb. 7 throughout the day and consisted of guided meditation, yoga and smoothies. The first of these wellness workshops was Guided Meditation where students were invited to relax and decompress from their stress. Similarly, later that day was Yoga Day. Yoga and meditation are unique in that they are able to relieve stress and get students to exercise. 

Smoothie Workshop 13

The Student Involvement and Employment Fair took place Feb. 6 where students were shown many ways for getting involved on campus. The levels of involvement are campus employment, clubs and organizations, community service and volunteerism, leadership programs, events and activities, recreations and intramurals, and arts and theatre. The event consisted of tables with representatives from different departments on campus looking to hire, as well as clubs and organizations looking to gain new members.

Involvement Week's goal was to remind students of the great programs offered at Kean University. The events showed students the benefits of student involvement.

"Kean's involved students find more satisfaction in their college experience as they make contacts and gain professional experience through their involvement. During Involvement Week, we were able to meet the plethora of students Kean has to offer. We saw first-hand the passion they have for their school and their eagerness to gain new experiences. Students are always receptive to the opportunities Kean has to offer," said Dominick Crouchelli, graduate intern at the Involvement Center.

For more information about the clubs and organizations on campus and all the ways one can get involved, contact the Involvement Center located in the Miron Student Center, Room 303 by calling (908) 737-5270 or by visiting their website.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.