The College of Liberal Arts Recognizes Outstanding Freshmen

First year students that received a 4.0 GPA were recognized with 100 Kean Bucks

Campus Life > The College of Liberal Arts Recognizes Outstanding Freshmen

Freshman in the College of Liberal Arts who received a 4.0 GPA their first semester were honored by Dean Mercantini at this recognition ceremony. 

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer

President of Kean University Dawood Farahi, Ph.D., approved an incentive for students to achieve a 4.0 GPA for the Fall 2018 semester. First year students with an undecided major or in the College of Liberal Arts who received a 4.0 GPA were rewarded with $100 worth of Kean Bucks. The College of Liberal Arts (CLA) and the School of General Studies view this as a way to get students started off on the right track for the time that they will spend at Kean.

A program was held on Jan. 31, 2019 in the first floor of the Center for Academic Success (CAS) to recognize the students who were able to achieve a 4.0 GPA during their first semester at Kean. 

The College of Liberal Arts's acting dean, Jonathan Mercantini, along with his office staff and the School of General Studies staff, hosted a reception for the students. This showed the attendees that their hard work paid off and that the University staff recognized their academic dedication. 

The students were presented their gift certificates along with Kean gift items to congratulate them on their hard work and achievements. It should be noted that a lot of the students who received this incentive are highly involved on campus, whether it's through organizations or sports teams. This shows the benefits of being a well-rounded student and becoming involved on campus!

Mercantini said, "Ultimately, [students] have to do the work. But all students should know that the College of Liberal Arts faculty and staff, as well as others are here to support them and provide help including tutoring, time management help and much more. "

He continued, "Getting a 4.0 isn't the only measure of success. As long as you are working hard, challenging yourself and learning, our students should be proud of what they have achieved."

One may be curious as to where the students will be able to spend their Kean Bucks. They are accepted at the following locations:

• The Residence Dining Hall
  • The Miron Student Center Cafeteria
  • The Cougar's Den
  • Starbucks
  • Smashburger
  • Auntie Anne's
  • Jersey Mike's Subs
  • Outtakes
  • Barnes and Noble
  • Barnes and Noble Campus bookstore
  • Au Bon Pain
  • Northside Cafe

If one has more questions on the different Kean currencies, make sure to check out the article "Lets Talk Money" by Petruce Jean-Charles.

To learn more about the CLA, make sure to check out its Kean web page.

Sheehan Shannon - web

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer
sheehsha@kean.edu

Shannon Sheeehan is a Junior Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. She joined The Cougar's Byte staff in Spring 2018. After her time at Kean, Shannon hopes to start her professional career in Public Relations and/or Social Media.