Month of Empowerment

Students celebrated Women's History Month with a kickoff full of inspiration and empowerment

Campus Life > Month of Empowerment
Month of Empowerment
The Student Organization staff worked to make the students feel comfortable to interact with the different activities designed to commemorate women's historical figures and empower women.
Brandon Gervais, Editor

The month of March is dedicated every year to International Women's History Month, a month for remembering and honoring the historical and influential female figures throughout history and those around us in the modern day. To commemorate the beginning of International Women's History Month, Kean University, Student Organization and P.U.L.S.E. hosted the Women's History Month Kickoff to start off a month of events in commemoration women. This year Women's History Month's theme is Visionary Women: Champions of Peace and Nonviolence, referring to generations of women who fought to end war, violence and injustice.

Women's History Month 2019

Kean will host numerous events throughout the month of March to celebrate Women's History Month.

Many of the activities at the Women's Month Kickoff centered around the empowerment of women. The event took place Monday, March 4 in the Miron Student Center (MSC) Atrium. One key feature was a wall of sticky notes where students were asked to write down something they always wanted to remind themselves of such as influential sayings and key phrases. Also with this was a table for writing a letter to oneself. Beginning with "Dear Self", students could write a letter to their future selves.

The Student Org staff were determined to get students involved with the event and interactive with the activity tables. One such table was the reoccurring wheel of trivia. This table is a prominent feature for many kickoff events on campus. Students were encouraged to spin a wheel and were asked a question based on what they spun. If they got the question right, they received a Women's History Month t-shirt. Another fun game that makes appearances at different events is the Who Am I table. It is here that students look at the table of cards with a brief biography, facts and, if they guess who the historical female figure is, they receive a prize. The prize was a pin that had an inspirational quote about empowerment.

Many of the other tables wanted students to express their creativity and reflect on their lives. Students could plant their own flower at the You Grow Girl table. They could write down the name of someone who inspires them on a colorful rock at the Who's Your Rock table.

The Women's History Month Kickoff is only the beginning of a plethora of different events designed to acknowledge the contributions women have made in history and empower the women of today to shatter the societal expectations placed on them.

Keep an eye out for all of the exciting events happening this Women's History Month!

Each March, Kean University student groups and student population work to produce events that celebrate women and their social impact on history.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.