English as a Second Language

The English as a Second Language (ESL) program develops the language and comprehension of non-native English speakers

Features > English as a Second Language
English as a Second Language
The Center for Academic Success (CAS) is home to the English as a Second Language program for students looking to improve their skills. Photo Courtesy of Five Prime.
Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor

As an institution known for its inclusiveness and diversity, Kean University aims to make all of its students comfortable through the resources it gives to the courses it facilitates. Under the College of Liberal Arts, the English as a Second Language (ESL) program provides non-native English speakers an opportunity to develop their understanding of the language.

The ESL program at Kean caters to all students who have resided in other areas of the world such as the following: Africa, Asia, Central America, Europe and South America. It has also benefited students in the United States as well.

In order to determine the appropriate level for the student, a placement test is given to ensure that they are placed in a comfortable and moderate learning environment. However, the ESL program would like students to know that the test does not interfere with admissions into the university.

As per their policy, newly-admitted undergraduate students must take placement tests in reading, writing and mathematics, unless their SAT scores or course work from previous colleges are approved. For testing, Kean utilizes the Next-Generation Accuplacer computerized placement tests.

According to study.com, the Accuplacer is a testing system used to determine the skills and knowledge of students in college-level courses. The test's main purpose is to evaluate the test-taker's skills and to determine what areas they need to improve or prepare for in their transition to college.

For more information on the Accuplacer test and how computer testing works, please visit the Kean website.

Furthermore, freshmen and transfer students are required to take the test unless they are exempt. Eligibility for test exemption is based on new and old SAT/ACT scores for freshman students, while transfer students are individually evaluated.

Eligibility for new SAT scores is as follows:

• Students with an SAT-English Reading/Writing score of 510 or higher are exempt from the reading and writing sections of the test.
  • Students with an SAT-Math score of 510 or higher are exempt from the math section of the test, including quantitative reasoning, algebra and statistics.
  • Students with an SAT-English Reading/Writing score of 510 or higher and SAT-Math scores of 510 or higher are exempt from all parts of the test which include reading, writing, quantitative reasoning, algebra and statistics.
  • Students with an ACT Composite score of 23 or higher are exempt from reading, writing, quantitative reasoning, algebra and statistics.

Eligibility for old SAT scores is as follows:

• Students with SAT-Critical Reading/Verbal scores of 520 or higher are exempt from the reading section of the test.
  • Students with SAT-Writing scores of 520 or higher are exempt from the writing section of the test.
  • Students with SAT-Math scores of 530 or higher are exempt from the quantitative reasoning, algebra and statistics section of the test.
  • Students with SAT-Critical Reading/Verbal scores of 520 or higher, SAT-Writing scores of 520 or higher and SAT-Math scores of 530 or higher are exempt from the reading, writing and quantitative reasoning, algebra and statistics.
  • Students with an ACT Composite score of 24 or above are exempt from reading, writing and quantitative reasoning, algebra and statistics.

Student who have completed the test will receive a letter of advisement, detailing the ESL courses they will need to take. This process will ensure that students register in their sections accurately on KeanWise or in-person at the Office of Registrar.

Although students are advised on courses based on their test scores, students will be placed in their level. For more information on where students will be placed, visit Course Placement on the Kean website or click on the document "Course Placement Information".

In addition to course placement, ESL students should note the following:

• Core courses acquire for six credits and are taken based on initial placement
  • All ESL courses are graded on a pass or fail basis, which do not fulfill degree requirements
  • ESL courses are taught by specialists and are placed as "L" during registration
  • Enrollment in ESL courses is limited to students whose native language is not English

With a resource like this one, students are encouraged to take advantage and utilize the materials given to excel at Kean and onward.

For further information, students can visit the department in the Center for Academic Success (CAS), Room 302A, email eslprog@kean.edu or call (908) 737-0420.

Petruce Jean Charles - Web

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor
jeanchap@kean.edu

Petruce Jean-Charles is a senior majoring in communication with a concentration in journalism. In Spring 2017 she joined The Cougar's Byte staff. She is goal-driven and dedicated to accomplishing her goals, where she wishes to work for successful companies like Huffington Post or The Washington Post. In her free time, she enjoys listening to different artists and watching new horror and thriller movies.