A Day of Remembrance

The Kean University community gathered to honor the anniversary of 9/11 with a moment of silence and remembrance ceremony

Campus Life > A Day of Remembrance

On September 11, 2019, Kean University partook in a moment of silence and remembrance to honor the lives lost during September 11, 2001, as well the heroes who persevered. 

Brandon Gervais, Editor

The Kean University community honored the anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001, by holding a remembrance and moment of silence on the Miron Student Center Patio. This remembrance included speeches and readings from members of the Kean community including Susan Figueroa, managing assistant director for Community Service and Civic Engagement, Mariama Roldan, campus minister, Dawood Farahi, Ph.D., Kean University president and a few of Kean's student leaders.

9/11 Remembrance and Moment of Silence (20)

This special remembrance began with a introduction from Figueroa who welcomed and thanked everyone in attendance. To begin to honor this tragic day in American history, Figueroa welcomed Kean student, Involvement Specialist Nadya Diaz to sing the national anthem.

"It was an honor to be offered a chance to be able to commemorate those who were lost and I wanted to offer my gift to help those who are still healing," said Diaz on being approached to sing at the Remembrance.

Everyone in attendance that day rose to stand for the singing of the national anthem and those who were walking by stopped and removed their hats to honor the flag on this patriotic day.

After the national anthem, Roldan was introduced and offered a few words on the 9/11 attacks and how they are remembered.

9/11 Remembrance and Moment of Silence (5)

"I find that in times of extreme distress and on anniversaries of such, it can be easy to overlook what happened or try to shy away from it, but it is important for us to remember the anniversary of this day and to feel the weight of what happened. To share with others our memories, to grieve with our fellow Americans and to pray for those who still experience the hurt and loss that this event brought on to them," Roldan said.

She continued, "9/11 will forever be a day we remember. A time of absolute horror, loss, tragedy, confusion, evil and sadness, but also a time of great bravery, unity togetherness prayer and heroism. On this day we must remind ourselves that the only true cure for hatred is kindness and genuine love for our neighbor."

Following Roldan's heartfelt words, Kean University President Farahi gave his remarks on the significance of 9/11. He explained his memories of that day and in the end he urges students to "stand up to hate, make your opinions known."

After the president's words, three Kean students stood up at the podium to do readings on 9/11 and express some of their thoughts. First was Breanna Hernandez, gold leader and leadership specialist for the Leadership Institute. This is Hernandez's second time speaking at the annual Remembrance, she credits always being willing to volunteer to read because her father is a New Jersey police officer. She read the poem Remember by Christina Rosseti.

9/11 Remembrance and Moment of Silence (8)

Creative Media Specialist for The Cougar's Byte Christopher Centinaro also spoke at the remembrance. He read two poems, one of which spoke about Sept. 11 as it affects what comes with the month of September and another that honors those who lost a loved one on that day.

The final reading came from Marcus Evertz, silver leader with the Leadership Institute and community and volunteer service specialist with the Center for Leadership and Service, who read an excerpt from a speech given by Mayor Bloomberg in commemoration of 9/11.

9/11 Remembrance and Moment of Silence (22)

When the readings were completed, Figueroa returned to the podium to begin the moment of silence followed by inviting everyone in attendance to go over to the 9/11 Memorial on campus next to Townsend Hall and the Child Care Center. This memorial is a fountain, powered by solar energy. There is also a tree planted with its foundations in the shape of the pentagon and a table that is made up in part of some of the steel of from the Twin Towers.

To close out the Remembrance a special United States flag was raised up the flag pole that is only raised once a year. This flag was flown over the Twin Towers and is only raised on the anniversary.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.