Mapping Personal Histories

Kean receives accreditation for a new Genetic Counseling (M.S.) program.

Campus News > Mapping Personal Histories
Mapping Personal Histories
Offered through the New Jersey Center for Science Technology and Mathematics (NJCSTM), the Genetic Counseling graduate program offers courses and education on medical genetics and counseling courses offered in partnership with the Department of Counselor Education at Kean’s Nathan Weiss Graduate College.
Brandon Gervais, Editor

The newest of Kean University's 19 graduate programs is in Genetic Counseling (M.S.). Utilizing a diverse skill set, the new program combines science with real work practice to create and advance treatments. This program will give students the opportunity to research, advance medical science and establish new diagnostic produces.

Starting with a select group of six students, the program will be one of only 46 genetic counseling programs in the country. Genetic counseling refers to the process of working with individuals and families to understand and point out risk factors of genetic disorders, to adapt to, prepare to avoid or deal with future health concerns.

Genetic counseling evaluates personal and family medical history. Graduates with a degree in genetic counseling can work in a variety of different medical fields, including but not limited to: prenatal, pediatrics, oncology, endocrinology, cardiology and neurology. They can also find employment in multiple locations of work, not only clinical settings but also in hospitals, doctor's offices, laboratories, research, insurance and more.

Offered through the New Jersey Center for Science, Technology and Mathematics (NJCSTM), the master's program began its development in 2018. The five-semester, 65-credit process includes components of classroom learning, research and clinical training. This program gives its participants the opportunity to work with real patients and take classes in medical genetics and counseling. Counseling courses will be offered in partnership with the Department of Counselor Education at Kean’s Nathan Weiss Graduate College.

Applications for the genetic counseling graduate program are now being accepted. Individuals looking to apply should be aware of the mandatory requirements:

• Baccalaureate degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) from all colleges attended 
  • Official transcripts from all institutions attended
  • Prerequisite coursework (Science courses should be of the level required for a science major or premedical course of study and the recommended minimum GPA for prerequisite coursework is 3.0.)
  • Official GRE score report
  • Three letters of recommendation
  • Current professional résumé/CV (include NMS assigned Match number*)
  • Personal statement
  • Additional writing requirement:
    Describe how shadowing a genetic counselor, advocacy work/volunteering, or personal experience(s) affected you as a person and defined your desire to become a genetic counselor. Include the reason(s) you are interested in the Genetic Counseling Graduate Program (GCGP) at Kean University. Essay should be less than or equal to 1200 words.
  • Related Experience
  • Interview is required. 
  • TOEFL or IELTS scores (if required)

More information on the new genetic counseling master's program can be found on the Kean website.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.