Lead to Succeed: How to Become an Orientation Leader

Learn how to become an Orientation Leader for the summer of 2020

Campus News > Lead to Succeed: How to Become an Orientation Leader
New Student Orientation Leaders of Summer 2019.
Justin Kanski, Staff Writer

New Student Orientation is now hiring for Summer 2020. Whether you have prior leadership experience or not, New Student Orientation is an excellent experience for both leadership and networking, all while assisting new incoming freshmen to Kean University.

New Student Orientation is a two-day, overnight event required for all incoming freshmen prior to starting classes in the fall. Orientation staff members are required to assist with all of the sessions throughout the entire summer, from late June to mid-August. The orientation staff members are in charge of planning all of the events that will take place during the session. The goal of the entire two-day event is to make sure that all of the incoming freshmen feel welcome to Kean University, while getting to meet new friends and learning about all of the necessary resources students have at their disposal in order to be successful in transitioning from the high school to the college lifestyle.

The New Student Orientation Search Committee is currently hiring orientation specialists, orientation leaders, and senior orientation leaders who are engaging, upper-class students that want to assist incoming freshmen with their transition to Kean University. These student mentors have to be able to work for the entire New Student Orientation season, as well as help out with transfer student orientation in late August. Orientation leaders and senior orientation leaders will serve as campus guides for their own group of students and lead sessions. Orientation specialists deal with both the communications and logistics of the entire team, such as answering phone calls and helping set up events.

In order to qualify for any of these positions, applicants needs to keep in mind a few key details to be considered for hire. The criteria is as follows:

• Must be enrolled as an undergraduate student at Kean University for the Fall 2020 semester by May 1.
  • Must have at the time of application and maintain at least a 2.75 cumulative grade point average during the term of employment.
  • Must be free of student conduct probation with restrictions in residence, University-wide disciplinary probation or higher level disciplinary sanctions (University-wide probation with restrictions, suspension, or dismissal) at the time of application and during the term of employment.
  • Demonstrate the ability to work with a diverse group of people including students, families, faculty, staff and administrators.
  • Exhibit strong communication skills, facilitation skills and role modeling behaviors.
  • Must reside on campus within proximity to New Student Orientation participants during the period of employment.
  • A high degree of innovation, self-motivation, creativity, analytical thinking and creative problem solving skills are essential.
  • Good judgment, strong sense of ethics and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously is required.
  • Excellent interpersonal and communication skills needed.
  • Ability to develop and maintain relationships with team members, faculty, administrators and University leadership.
  • Flexible schedule, available to work nights during orientation sessions.

If the applicant is successfully hired, they will receive a stipend depending on their position. Orientation leaders will receive a $3,075.00 stipend, senior orientation leaders will receive a $3,175.00 stipend and orientation specialists will receive a $2,750.00 stipend with room and board. All stipends listed are prior to taxes. All applicants will also receive a $300 meal plan for use at any on campus eatery or approved off-campus eateries, as well as a room waiver for housing on campus during the term of employment.

Have what it takes? Then apply to be a part of the New Student Orientation staff today and showcase cougar pride for incoming freshmen.

Applications are available online on Cougar Link. Priority applications are due Friday, Feb. 7th by 2 p.m., but the final deadline will be at 2 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 21st. For more information, please visit the New Student Orientation application page, or email nso@kean.edu.

Justin Kanski - web

Justin Kanski, Staff Writer
kanskij@kean.edu

Justin Kanski is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus on Media/Film and a minor in Health Relations. A Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte, Justin is also a part of Kean TV and WKNJ 90.3 Cougar Radio as the host of J Money Jams. He is a member of the Leadership Institute Platinum Level and has served as a New Student Orientation Leader for the past two years. Justin’s favorite shows are “Power” and "Cobra Kai" while his favorite movies are anything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also loves listening to Hip-Hop music. Whether it be in front of the camera or behind it, Justin aspires to be a media mogul.