Celebrate Black History This February at Kean

Get a preview of upcoming events from Kean student groups and departments celebrating Black History Month

Campus News > Celebrate Black History This February at Kean
Brandon Gervais, Editor

As one of the most diverse public universities in the state, Kean has many different events and programs dedicated to celebrating Black History Month. Every year, the organizations at Kean University honor its diverse student population and its rich African American history by celebrating Black History Month during February.

Each of the events planned this Black History Month go towards themes of diversity, education and representation. The month traditionally kicks off with the Black History Month Kickoff and Flag Raising on Monday, Feb. 1 at 3:15 p.m. Students can join President Repollet in the reading of the Proclamation and the raising of the flag.

The Black History Month Programming Calendar has been organized by the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) and the office has been very active in creating unique and interesting Black History Month events. The goal of the Office of DEI is to promote and foster values of diversity of all students, faculty, staff, administrators and beyond. The Office facilitates the implementation of the key principles of inclusive excellence and collaboration in all university endeavors.

The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will be sponsoring or co-hosting numerous events this Black History Month including:

Thursday, Feb. 4 - "River City Drumbeat" Live Streaming Documentary and Meet the Filmmaker

Tuesday, Feb. 9 - "I'm Not Sorry" with Guest Speaker and Kean Alum Ayannah Johnson

Wednesday, Feb. 10 - Student Research Seminar

Tuesday, February 16 - Travel through History: Explore Black History via Learning Commons Resources

Thursday, Feb. 18 - #StudyAbroadSoBlack Lecture and Virtual Student Panel

Thursday, Feb. 23 - From Segregation to Liberation: African American Soldiers and the Holocaust

Thursday Feb. 25 - Capturing Change

These are only the beginning of all of the interesting and diverse programs scheduled this February for Black History Month.

For more information on the many events happening during Black History Month, access Cougar Link. There, students can also discover more about these student groups and others who are celebrating Black History Month.

For students looking to further educate themselves on Black history, culture and traditions, there are resources all throughout the Kean community to help. Students can find information and interesting educational pieces from the Office of Africana Studies, the Kean Theatre Conservatory, The English Department and more.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.