A Gendered Perspective

Learn about the Women's and Gender studies minor program at Kean University

Features > A Gendered Perspective
A Gendered Perspective
Women's History Month and International Women's Day are annual events and is honored and celebrated by Kean University in a variety of ways. Consider adding a Women's and Gender Studies minor!
Brandon Gervais, Editor

The Women's and Gender Studies Minor Program at Kean University is an exciting and enriching opportunity for students from a variety of majors and professional fields to add to their program evaluation. Adding a minor in Women's and Gender Studies is a way to develop skills in critical thinking, problem solving, analytics and a gendered-oriented perspective to a multitude of tasks and discussions.

Within this program students are able to broaden the scope of their studies by investigating gender and the cultures
and contributions of women worldwide from feminist/womanist perspectives. Students will take a deep dive into a multifaceted minor program and study women, feminist theory and gender intricacies in different educational subjects.

The Women's and Gender Studies minor allows students to cater their gender education to their choosing from three major disciplines, those being; history, psychology, literature, art history, criminal justice, communications, philosophy, public administration, political science, sociology and health and physical education.

This 18 credit minor comes from under the School of Interdisciplinary studies. With only one strict required course, ID 1300 Introduction to Women Studies. In this course students will learn how gender intersects with race, ethnicity, class, sexualities, nationality and culture.

Women's and Gender Studies is a minor program out of the Center for Interdisciplinary Studies.The Center of Interdisciplinary Studies works to educate the Kean community on a multitude of world issues. It offers a degree program in global studies as well as minors in Africana Studies, Asian Studies, Chinese Studies, Environmental Justice, Jewish Studies and World Affairs, Latin American Studies and Women's and Gender Studies. Students can benefit from many of the academic minors offered through the Center of Interdisciplinary Studies as they each provide a unique contextual knowledge of different regions or world issues.

For students interested in adding Women's and Gender Studies as their minor, they must consider reaching out to ones own academic advisor as well as Program Coordinator Dr. Consuelo Bonillas by email at cbonilla@kean.edu or by phone at (908) 737-3824. Utilize the minor program guide sheet, to check your progress on the completion of the minor.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.