Presidential Renewal

The transition that will shape Kean's future

Presidential Renewal
Benito Nieves

Ascending into command, especially when unexpected, can determine who has what it takes to be a true leader. Fortunately, for Carminda "Mindy" Bandeira, a senior elementary education and earth science major, the transition from vice president of funded groups to President of Student Organization of Kean University has come smoothly. As of January 5, 2010, Mindy, the now official standing voice of Kean students has undertaken a position she never meant to possess, but has embraced with confidence and exertion. The now notable theologian, George Matheson, once said, "We conquer by continuing." Perhaps aspects of leadership are universal, for Mindy, too, embraces this notion whole-heartedly. Making clear her first and foremost prospect, she states, "My expectation for our executive board and council is that we jump right back onto our feet and move forward. We must stay true to our mission statement and be the leaders that we have come this far to be, regardless of any bump on the road." During her run as vice president of funded groups, Mindy made her footprint in Kean's Student Organization clear, marking her no-nonsense and hardworking approach to leadership.

For Mindy, most of what she attributes to the smooth transition has been the abundant support she has received. Through the personal connections she has made with student leaders and members of the funded groups, Mindy has created a strong foundation for encouragement and strive. For this new president of the collective student voice, failure is not an aspect that affects her solely, but the many faces all around her; in knowing this, Mindy is driven. With already her family and friends pushing her to use absolute heart and mind in her tasks, Mindy is especially thankful for her directors and executive board for embracing her in this new position. She gratefully states, "It means the world to me to be working with such a strong, passionate, and driven group of leaders."

Mindy has already begun to make her position a fundamental and campus changing one. Seeing the benefits of extending the main campus's networking, Mindy has established a new addition to the student organization council. The Ocean County College branch of Kean University up till now has not had much, if any, representation in the groups here on the main campus. To rectify this, a vice-president position for the Kean-Ocean campus with two other representative positions will be added to the council. Mindy notes that this integration "will be a great connection for both our campus and theirs."

Despite finding the challenge in the constant demand to perform public speaking, Mindy is utilizing this as an opportunity to strengthen her in-person communication skills. This minimal task is just one among the many to balance on her hectic schedule. Mindy is currently sustaining her senior field experience course, which requires a five days a week teaching internship at W.O.K. Middle School in Hillside, NJ, on top of an additional 3 courses here at Kean. Yet, with great perseverance comes great reward; Mindy is set to be a Kean graduate as of this coming May. If her role as acting president of the student voice is any indication of her future beyond the Kean undergraduate years, then Mindy is set out to continue reaping the benefits of a diligent course.