Campaigning For The Top Seat

Four compete for student votes to become president

Campaigning For The Top Seat
Gaelle Gilles

One of the largest elections is upon Kean University. The student government holds several elections that go on throughout the school year but one of the biggest elections is of the Student Organization representatives.

This year four prestigious candidates—Schalor Blackshear, Nigel Donald, Joao Pereira, Anthony Williams—are campaigning for the presidential spot in the student government. Before voting for who will be the next president of Student Organization, get to know a little bit about them.

Blackshear is currently a junior who is majoring in psychology pre-physical therapy. He is involved in a lot of organizations such as being a part of the fraternity Iota Phi Theta Incorporated (Beta Xi chapter), where he currently holds the positions vice president and the director of community service. “I am also vice president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council at Kean University, which is a collaboration of [nine] historically African American, international Greek lettered fraternities and sororities,” comments Blackshear. Not only that, Blackshear is “also an enlisted soldier in the United States Army National Guard.” Blackshear also comments that his future goals include graduating from Kean University next year, followed by attending graduate school so one day he can become a physical therapist and eventually open his own practice. Donald, who is also a junior, is the current vice president for Student Organization. He is currently majoring in economics and minoring in political science. As for Donald’s career path, he would like “to continue my political ambitions, to potentially run as mayor in my hometown of Linden, then governor of the Garden State and eventually President of the United States.” Pereira is also an accomplished individual as a junior majoring in criminal justice and has a goal of becoming “either an (Federal Bureau of Investigation) FBI agent, (Drug Enforcement Administration) DEA agent, but if anything open to entering any position to get my foot in the door.” His current activities include participating in events and gaining new skills and abilities, as well as obtaining internships at a courthouse or a police station. Williams is a sophomore who is majoring in sustainability science with a focus in global business. He is a part of the Leadership Education and Development program (L.E.A.D.) and is currently an “intern for My Green Businesses in Cranford, working on [an] independent research [which] will help me gain credits towards my major and has given me a huge network capacity,” Williams comments. He continues to add how being a part of “the L.E.A.D. program has helped me manage many obstacles within the few months that I’ve [endured], such as self-management, stress management, self-expression, and so forth,” and how his internship requires him to work “with the Cranford Environmental Commission to develop their Green Businesses Program into tiers that will certify local businesses that have sustainability practices.” As for future plans, Williams plans to help every city and town located in New Jersey to “develop sustainability practices for a safer and eco-friendly environment. I also plan to sustain a dynamic sustainability system at Kean University as well.” Williams would also like to start an international business that focuses on sustaining the globe.

With a little background information of each candidate, one may wonder why each candidate is running for the position of Student Organization president. Donald comments that he is running for the position because “I’ve been a strong advocate for the students and have been a part of Student Organization for three years, working my way through positions like freshman class president, sophomore class president, and now the executive vice president. And in this stage in the game I don't think my job is done serving the students of Kean.” Pereira’s response to the question is so “I would listen to anyone who is willing to speak to me of what they see is a problem and using whatever power I have available to try and resolve that problem.” As for William’s response, he is running for Student Organization president “because I believe it is all about reaching higher limits. Reaching barriers that you never believed could be reached. I [like] to go above and beyond [with] what I sometimes think cannot be done, working towards what I know will not be easy to attain. I feel that there are many issues at Kean that are not being addressed thoroughly enough, and I am willing to confront them; be a mouthpiece for the progressive students at Kean University…” Blackshear on the other hand says that the reason why he is running for “Student Organization president because I truly feel that I can make a difference because when I first came to Kean University through [Educational Opportunity Fund] E.O.F I wasn’t involved in student activities for most of my first year and let’s face it, that’s majority of the students at Kean University. It wasn’t until I became a member Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Incorporated that I became a proactive student and later to take on leadership roles. I can relate to majority of Kean University because I was the majority of Kean University. I can be the voice of those students whose ideas may not be heard.”

But one of the most important aspects of being president of the Student Organization is achievement. Each candidate explains three things that they will like to accomplish as president if elected. Pereira says that the “three things that I would want to try and achieve as the Student Organization president is to try and unite everyone on a single problem at a time to achieve the most; second to provide the best experience to the students they can have at Kean University; and finally to strengthen relations between the students and administration.” Williams comments on how the “three specific tasks that I wish to achieve as the student government president is to install Wi-Fi service on the campus trolleys, improve parking, and modify campus roads. I expect results to accumulate in the learning center, [such as] better tutoring service for the university students so that students may be more capable of getting better grades in the mathematics and sciences. I also hope [for a] more educated campus community on how imperative sustainability practices are needed throughout the campus.” Blackshear shares his ambitions for the position of “Student Organization president, I hope to achieve more awareness of Student Organization, satisfaction of Kean University students, and to continue to help Student Organization thrive. In return, I hope to ignite more students to get involved with [the] organization. I want everyone at Kean University to know about Student Organization and the issues that we solve.” Donald, on the other hand, would like “to put [Global Positioning System] GPS tracking devices inside our trolley's so students (by their smart phone) can track when the next trolley will be available to take them to their destination; continue working with Gourmet Dining to provide better meal options inside the residence hall cafeteria (New Upper Residence hall Cafeteria) for resident students. As well as implementing off campus meal options with local eateries preferred by students both commuting and residing in the residence halls. [Also to] begin a pilot program for commuters for GPS magnetic sensors inside our parking lots that will be able to identify where available parking is around campus (accessible through smart phone app) as well as re-allocate parking availability for residents behind the residence halls instead of in [the] Vaughn-Eames parking lot.”

Like at many colleges across the United States there are a few issues that need to be addressed and solved. Williams believes that the “most important issue that Kean University full-time students are facing is not having the help they need to pass their classes. [Center for Academic Success] CAS tutors are good but don't have the professional skills that are needed to teach students where they will grasps concepts and come to a designated understanding. Since CAS tutors are still currently students and don't have all of the areas of their expertise covered enough to tutor on a professional basis it makes it harder for the recipient to learn. Also, more tutors should be hired due to the fact that tutoring is nearly almost [always] booked. To solve this issue would require much attention from [a] campus director in search of hiring professional full-time tutors in the fields of science and mathematics.” As for Blackshear, he considers “the most important issue facing Kean University full-time undergraduate students is that many students aren’t involved in Kean University. There are many students who don’t know about Student Organization events and ideas we have to help solve problems at Kean University, but [like most things, a problem like this] takes time. I believe that it discourages students to believe that problems are going to be solved. If students are discouraged and in disbelief of change, many students will believe their voice doesn’t matter and to me that’s a problem that we need to fix. The reason for me joining Student Organization was to help solve problems and see how Kean University is ran. A wise man once told me that ‘if you want to change things, you have to change things within the system.’ How I plan to address this issue is to tell students to come to our meetings and express [their] issues so that way students can see it being handled and maybe to inspire a student to join Student Organization.” Donald comments that “the number one issue right now is advisement. With my experience through several university related committees I identify the problem with advisement being a departmental issue and not a university-wide related one. The way I look to address the issue is by resolving advisement problems department by department. Every area of campus is unique therefore the problems we face in advisement are unique to every department. If elected I do expect some skepticism with the ability to provide for the students and that's rightfully so. Whenever change is presented to people we are often apprehensive to embrace that change, but when you have dedication and motivation like I do then you can ease the crowds and provide confidence to the masses. So just know at the end of the day with me behind the helm the job will be done.

With a chance of becoming president of the Student Organization, one of the candidates will be able to have a chance to shape the Student Organization in a certain direction. But being the president of Student Organization lasts for only a year, so what will Student Organization be like five years from now?
Blackshear answers that “in five years I see Student Organization [on] a larger scale; a scale where the requirements become stricter and harder to join [the]organization because many students want to get involve. I hope to inspire the incoming freshmen next year to become proactive as soon as you come into Kean University. I’d tell them ‘don’t wait to get involve and join now because [you] have the opportunity to change unsatisfying things but first you must get involve and let your voice be heard.’ I hope to inspire someone to do a[n] even better job than I did [or will] do because at the end of the day I want to see Student Organization thrive more and more, not stay the same. I believe change means growth.” Donald asserts the “Student Organization is on the cusp of turning a new page in Kean University's history. This academic year alone is a testimony to the increase in programmed events for students ranging from cultural to social events, historical to educational events. I believe that in five years from now if we see dedicated and experience leaders rise to the challenge of being the student voice then there will be no reason why involvement and overall interest in Student Organization and Kean University won't increase.” While Pereira comments on how he sees “this organization in five years resolve as many problems as possible and providing the best experience as possible. Williams would like to comment on how “in five years I see the student government working on much bigger projects, complying with U.S. government officials on political values and other ways that may be applicable to crafting the student body. I see the university participating on much more active and campus oriented events due to Student Organization. I hope to see the student body also growing in numbers.”

Before students get the chance to vote for one of the candidates, all should know the reason why one should be elected for president. Donald states, “I believe I'm worthy to be elected as the Student Organization resident and re-elected to a[n] executive board position because ever since day one in the fall of 2012 I've been dedicated to stand by the student voice and to represent them whenever and wherever. I'm not the perfect leader but I am a great one. Of all the candidates I have the most experience in Student Organization and the most experience in relations with the university administrative staff. Lastly this is my strong passion, I love Student Org and I've loved being the voice of the student body and my passion and devotion shows every day.” Williams would like to convince students by saying “you should elect me because I seek nothing but success and determination. I am able to shift my perspective in any situation given and know what it feels like to fail. I have started from the bottom and know the daily struggles of a full-time student. Not having much support [from] family and friends, I know what it feels like to put most of my dependency and reliance on Kean University. I care and focus on building relationships with my fellow peers and also care too much about leadership to let the Kean University student government down. I know you will be happy with your choice electing me as student government president.” Blackshear would like to convey to students that they “should elect me for president of Student Organization because I believe that in order to be a great president you must be balanced and relatable to your student body. I am involved in different leadership roles in different [associations]. [These roles I obtain] means I get to see what works and what doesn’t work. I also maintain a decent [Grade Point Average] GPA of 3.2 while going to as many programs and event[s] I possibly can. In return, I see and get involve[d] with majority of the Kean University student body.”

With election day just days away, keep in mind the information presented above. Possessing leadership skills that would be of benefit to Kean University, the next president of Student Organization as decided by the students will campaign for a community the students require as they develop their own leadership skills to take with them into the world