Cougars Can Ball

An overview of Kean Athletics

Essentials > Cougars Can Ball
Cougars Can Ball

Kean University has top-tier facilities for each of the multiple sports it offers  

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

Kean University believes that athletics play an instrumental role in the overall lives of student-athletes. The university holds to the idea that sports complement the athlete's academic involvement. Moreover, it aids in the holistic development of student-athletes that ultimately prepares them for life after graduation.

Kean University is a NCAA Division III program that is a part of the New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC). The university offers 14 sports -- 6 sports for men and 8 sports for women. For men, Kean University offers baseball, basketball, football, lacrosse, soccer and volleyball. For women, Kean offers basketball, field hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis and volleyball. With its wide range of available sports, Kean University is a prime destination for student-athletes to succeed in competing at high levels. 

The Kean University mascot is the cougar, which serves as an optimal representation of Kean athletics. Each athlete on each team is a fierce competitor who never backs down in the face of adversity, and it is evident in the way they compete. 

When student-athletes don the navy and white, they become relentless competitors, focused on giving their all for the sake of victory. Albeit winning is not the be-all and end-all, it is a desirable goal that Kean University student-athletes strive for each season.

Kean University provides student-athletes with first-rate facilities for the development of strength and stamina and for the showcasing of their skill and talent. The Jim Hynes '63 Baseball Stadium is the place where Kean University baseball program dominates. With a capacity of 700, the stadium houses fans who have come to watch the Cougars thrive on the recently installed FieldTurf.

Adjacent to the baseball stadium is the Cougar Softball Field. It is on this field that the softball program accrued a 17-3 home record in the 2017 season. The biggest sports facility on campus is the Kean Alumni Stadium which furnishes seating for 5,300 spectators. After being renovated lastly in 2014, the stadium is now equipped with FieldTurf, an eight lane track, lights, a press box and two Daktronics scoreboards. 

Moreover, the Harwood Arena houses not only both the men's and women's basketball and volleyball programs but also the athletic department offices. The arena features basketball/volleyball courts, an indoor track and seating for 2,500 spectators. Ever since its inception in 2005, Harwood Arena has become a center buzzing with activity. 

In addition to the larger fields and stadiums, Kean University also has a six lane pool in the D'Angola Gymnasium, a top-notch weight room in the Carole Hynes Field House and a highly equipped Athletic Training Rehabilitation Center.

All in all, Kean University provides its student-athletes with the best possible avenues to excel in athletics. Not only does it help them strive towards greatness in athletics, but it helps round out student-athletes by teaching them responsibility, teamwork, perseverance and diligence. 

These traits do not just transcend the court and field. Instead, they are carried throughout the student-athletes' lives. With its top-tier facilities and adept coaching staff, Cougar athletics is capable of reaching greater heights both on and off the field.

For scores, schedules or simply what Kean Athletics is up to, visit their website at http://www.keanathletics.com/landing/index

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.Â