Cougars That Care

Opportunities to care for the community

Campus News > Cougars That Care
Cougars That Care
Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

Kean University as a whole plays an important role in serving the community. Yet much of the volunteer opportunities are dependent on Kean students. Moreover, many students are always searching for more ways to get involved both in the community and on campus. On Sept. 30, the Center For Leadership and Service (CLS) is having its first Cougars That Care Day of Service of the semester. 

Normally, there would be only one Cougars That Care Day of Service in the tail end of the spring semester. However, there will be multiple Cougars That Care Days of Service throughout both semesters. This will be a huge benefit for students who are searching for more volunteer opportunities or are in need of service hours. It will provide more opportunities for students to get involved off campus.  

On the Day of Service, CLS is offering multiple opportunities for students to serve the community. Students can choose among Adopt-A-Park, Community Food Bank of New Jersey and Cornell Hall Care and Rehabilitation Center.

Adopt-A-Park is a volunteer opportunity that seeks to tidy up recreational parks in Union, New Jersey. Adopt-A-Park is one of the two programs that the Union County Parks System has for volunteers. Whether it is cleaning up litter or removing weeds, Adopt-A-Park is an enjoyable outdoor volunteer opportunity. Be sure to dress according to the weather. This opportunity takes place from 10 a.m. to noon.

The second volunteer event is at the Community Food Bank in Hillside, New Jersey from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Here volunteers can take part in feeding the community. For more information about the Food Bank, visit their website.

The third option for students wanting to take part in Cougars That Care Day of Service is the Cornell Hall Care and Rehabilitation Center located in Union. Alongside the Physical Therapy Club and CLS, volunteers will serve brunch to the seniors at Cornell Hall. This event spans from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Transportation is provided for each of these events. It is very important for interested students to register on Cougar Link for these events beforehand. Spaces are limited, and volunteers must be approved.  

For more information, visit the Center for Leadership and Service in room 219 or call (908) 737-5170.   

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.Â