Kean Gets Ready For Homecoming

Homecoming is right around the corner

Campus News > Kean Gets Ready For Homecoming
Kean Gets Ready For Homecoming
Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

Homecoming 2017 is coming in hot. Friday, Oct. 6 to Sunday, Oct. 8 should be marked down on calendars as it will certainly manifest into an exciting time for the entire university. The weekend of homecoming is packed with food, fun and prizes that will appeal to students, alumni and guests alike.

Homecoming is a huge event on campus, bringing students, alumni and guests together to cheer on Kean athletics in a grand show of Kean pride. 

Acting Director of Alumni Relations Alissa Di Scala, understands the scope of this event and the role it plays for all who attend.

"The impact Homecoming has on alumni is an opportunity to see the positive changes the University is undergoing.  It also gives the alumni a chance to be back 'home' where they developed friendships and more importantly where they gained the knowledge they needed to become the person they are today."

For students, Di Scala mentions that "it brings together all students regardless if they are an athlete or from a Greek or student organization.  It’s a day where the students can show their Kean pride with apparel, [by] playing in a game, participating in the Homecoming Tailgate or coming to cheer on their fellow peers. In the end, the impact on students and alumni is common; that is pride for Kean."   

Homecoming 2017 kicks off on Thursday, Oct. 5 with the Homecoming Concert. From 8 p.m. to 11:30 p.m., students can enjoy the performance of A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie as well as lose their voices singing. Be sure to purchase tickets at the Wilkins Theater Box Office. Only two tickets are allowed per Kean ID. 

The action continues on Friday, Oct. 6 with the Pep Rally at 6 p.m. Come to Harwood Arena and get hyped for Kean University's sports teams. Cougar pride is extremely welcomed. 

The Greek Alumni Reunion will follow the Pep Rally at 8 p.m. at the North Avenue Academic Building. Alumni ages 21 and over are welcome for a fee. Students are not allowed at this event. 

Saturday, Oct. 7 is the biggest day of Homecoming. The best part is that it is happening regardless of the weather, so everyone who comes is promised a good time. While the Homecoming Tailgate kicks off the lineup of events for the day at 10 a.m. in the Harwood Arena lot, registration starts at 10:30 a.m. Registering allows attendants access to free food and games.

Inflatable games, rides and free food lasts from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. At 1 p.m., the Kean University football team will take on William Paterson University at the Alumni Stadium. At 5 p.m., the Kean University women's soccer will also compete against William Paterson University at the Alumni Stadium. Make sure to arrive early because the stands will be jam-packed with students, alumni and guests.

Finally, on Sunday, Oct. 8, the Men's Lacrosse Alumni game will take place at the Intramural Field at East Campus from 10 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. At 11 a.m., the Class of 1967 will have their 50 year anniversary reunion at Kean Hall.       

Apart from the lineup of events, this year's homecoming is back with a new theme: "Super Heroes & Comic Books." Do not be surprised to find Batman, Harley Quinn and Spiderman walking around Kean University during that weekend. Many members of Greek organizations here at Kean really run with the theme, but guests are welcome to throw on a costume and join the fun.

For any student or alumni who is hesitant about attending the event, Alissa Di Scala exhorts them to come by. 

"Homecoming is a great day to enjoy everything that Kean is about.  As an alumni, you can bring back your family to show off where you went to school.  As a student or athlete, it’s a day to come together to cheer on Kean [Athletics].  [Ultimately,] Homecoming is about fun and enjoyment. What more could you ask for on a beautiful October day?" asked Di Scala. 

So come on out and support Kean Athletics at this year's homecoming. The more people that attend, the more lively and entertaining it will be. The louder people cheer, the harder the university's sports teams will compete. Let this homecoming be a sensational showcase of Kean pride.

For the itinerary for homecoming, visit the Kean Alumni website. Registration for tickets can also be found there.  

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.