Light Up The Sky

Season of Lights is set to brighten up the season

Campus News > Light Up The Sky
Light Up The Sky

A lot of people do not know that there is a planetarium inside the Science Building

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

Season of Light, a planetarium program, looks to light up the Science Building starting Nov. 13 from 3:30 to 4:15 p.m. Students and faculty are encouraged to join the spectacular annual show organized by the School of Environmental and Sustainability Science.

Season of Light is a festive program that celebrates the holiday traditions of many cultures spanning the globe. It takes individuals on a journey through the history of holiday traditions by means of astronomy. Whether the tradition is rooted in culture or religion, Season of Light takes an interesting look at the sky to point out various constellations and wintry phenomena that play a part in the holiday traditions.

Season of Light also delves into why seasons occur. People who visit can get an in-depth view of Northern Hemisphere constellations. 

"[Season of Light will examine] the history of 'St. Nick', all centered around the cold season. Comets, meteors, novae, supernovae, and planetary conjunctions [will be] explored while reminiscing about cold, but brightened memories of seasons past," said Will Heyniger, producer of the Kean University planetarium shows.   

"Kean University’s 30 foot hemispheric half dome planetarium, combined with our StarLab ® in-dome education software (Starry Night) allows for a fully digitized space experience," Heyniger continued. "From constellation exploration and mythology, galactic fly-by’s, planet exploration and exploring our home solar system, Kean University’s planetarium and StarLab ® brings space close. Our digitized dome simplifies complex issues  and makes observing and learning about the stars, planets, motion and the vastness of space astronomy really fun and easy."

When asked about the benefits of this event, Heyniger mentioned, "Season of Light offers students a chance to de-stress before finals overwhelm them by some seasonally timed holiday cheer. As finals approach, there is nothing better than hearing holiday music, unwinding for 35 minutes and learning about science in the School of Environmental and Sustainability Science department on the third floor of the Science Building."  

He continued, "It provides some 'down time' before the hectic pace of exams, family obligations, [and] maybe increased work hours during the holiday rush, so Season of Light is great way to relax for a short while in a comfortable reclined chair, watching the history and story of wintertime light. It's a real and tangible benefit if students are relaxed before exams, that they may perform better overall, so the planetarium and Season of Light is an excellent, effective, interesting and inspirational way to spend 35 mins."

Below are the following show dates for Season of Light from 3:30 to 4:15 p.m.:

• Nov. 13
  • Nov. 16
  • Nov. 20
  • Nov. 27
  • Nov. 30
  • Dec. 4
  • Dec. 7

All students are highly encouraged to attend Season of Light. Seating for the event is 20 per show. Thus, it is important for individuals to reserve seats by contacting Will Heyniger via email at wheynige@kean.edu or via phone call at 908-737-3660. 

Be a part of Season of Light and have your day brightened. 

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.