A Conversation for Learning About Aphasia

A poignant story about the disorder Aphasia will be read aloud in the Miron Student Center's Little Theater

Campus News > A Conversation for Learning About Aphasia

Talk To Me: A Reading About Aphasia will be available for viewing at the Miron Student Center Little Theater on Friday evening at 6 p.m.

Marcus Van Diver

The School of Communication Disorders and Deafness will be hosting an emotional reading of a comedy titled "Talk to Me", a story that explores the topic of communication, human relationships, and the meaning of loving life itself, Friday, Jan. 26 at 6 p.m. at the Miron Student Center's (MSC) Little Theater.

The touching story profiles the life and recovery of people living with aphasia, which is an impairment of the ability to use and understand verbal and written language, due to the after-effects of a stroke. Additionally, the reading explains the process that the caretakers of those who suffer from aphasia undergo in helping these people live their everyday lives.

The event will be a free and inclusive reading of the play for all members of the Kean community who are willing to gain the perspectives of the people who are affected by the disorder and the individuals taking on the challenge of helping the disabled get back on their feet.

The play is based on the experience that Megan Bussiere '08, '10 M.A. had as a graduate student at Kean’s Center for Communication Disorders. Bussiere is the protagonist in this story as a caretaker and her companion, Mary Jo Santo Pietro Ph.D., a professor in the School of Communication Disorders and Deafness, will play a character with aphasia. 

For more information on the reading, contact Martin Schulman Ph.D., at his email at mschulman@kean.edu. Also, Schulman can be reached at the number of (908) 737-5802. This will be an experience for those who are willing to listen and learn about the disorder that affects people, doctors, caretakers, and family members who want to help their patients and loved ones try to live their best lives possible.

Van Diver Marcus - web

Marcus Van Diver, Staff Writer
vandivem@kean.edu

Marcus Van Diver, a senior majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media, has been a Staff Writer for The Cougar’s Byte since October of 2016. He has aspirations of working in the field of sports media and wishes to be a broadcaster, journalist or radio host for any major news corporation. His hobbies include, reading, exercising and playing sports. He is an avid fan of his New York Giants, Boston Celtics, Philadelphia Phillies and New York Rangers.