Get FAFSA Done Fast

Get help completing your financial aid application by financial aid professionals

Campus News > Get FAFSA Done Fast
Get FAFSA Done Fast
Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

The Office of Financial Aid is offering two FAFSA completion sessions on March 2 and April 6 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Students are encouraged to drop by the Center for Academic Success (CAS), Room 204. 

At these completion sessions, students can expect to get assistance on how to fill out their FAFSA. The FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid, and it is the very way that individuals can receive additional funds toward their tuition. This is an extremely important part of college that many students are surprisingly unaware of. 

Sherrell Watson-Hall, the director of the Office of Financial Aid, urges students to fill out the FAFSA. "If a student fails to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid by the priority filing deadline, they miss the opportunity to qualify for certain deadline based federal and state grant programs," Watson-Hall said. "Grant aid is free money that does not have to be repaid and eligibility can only be determined by completing the FAFSA. Also, failing to complete the FAFSA means students will need to pay out of pocket for their tuition, fees, meals and housing."

There are many instances where students spurn the opportunity to receive financial aid through the FAFSA. They cite various reasons that seemingly upstage the FAFSA's importance.

"Some students do not realize that the FAFSA must be completed every year. Completing the FAFSA during the freshman year only covers that first year and must be renewed annually," Watson-Hall mentioned. "I have heard many students and families indicate an unwillingness to apply because they think they won’t qualify.  The application is free and some students may be surprised at their eligibility for grants, work study and low interest federal loans."

Watson-Hall continued, "We encounter some students who assume their parent completed the FAFSA form on their behalf. The student is ultimately responsible for ensuring the application is renewed. The Office of Financial Aid sends periodic email reminders to alert students of the date to renew their FAFSA."

Consequently, the FAFSA completion sessions are put in place to help expedite this process and to encourage students to actually fill out the application. This will ultimately lead to more students who are aware of the FAFSA's importance, the process on how to complete one, and the pros that accompany it.  

Once again, the Office of Financial Aid is offering two FAFSA completion sessions on March 2 and April 6 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Coming to either completion session will decidedly ensure that the student's FAFSA is completed well before the priority deadline date.

For more information, visit the event page on Cougar Link or visit the Office of Financial Aid during the following times:      

• Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 8 a.m to 6 p.m.
  • Wednesday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
  • Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Saturday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Moreover, students can call the Office of Financial Aid at (908) 737-3190. The phone hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.