Plant It Forward with the CLS!

Volunteer and help children learn about nature and how to maintain the 4-H Club farm

Campus News > Plant It Forward with the CLS!
Plant It Forward with the CLS!

Join the Center for Leadership and Success in their Plant It Forward event to give back and help educate kids about their local 4-H Club farm.

Brandon Gervais, Editor

On Saturday, April 14, join the Center for Leadership and Service (CLS) as it embarks on its first ever Plant It Forward event in Montclair, New Jersey. CLS is looking for volunteers to go and educate children about nature and how to maintain the 4-H Club farm. 

The 4-H Club is a non-profit organization that has numerous local networks that engage youth to come together to better each other and their communities. Children and volunteers for the 4-H Club complete hands-on projects to better their community and establish and maintain positive community environments. Oftentimes, they are encouraged to become leaders both in and out of the 4-H program. There are multiple 4-H Clubs all around the country. Every county has its list of local 4-H clubs. All together, there are close to six million 4-H'ers and volunteers help them grow to be leaders in their futures.

4-H Club

4-H Club Statistics

"One of the best things we can do to preserve the environment is learn and teach about sustainability," said Kristen Failla, a junior who serves as the environmental and sustainability service specialist with the Center for Leadership and Service. "The Plant it Forward service trip will give students the opportunity to help children learn about their role in protecting the environment through interactive tasks such as building and maintaining garden beds, planting, weeding, composting and more. The 4-H Club Farm is located at a Montclair Historical Society site, therefore maintaining the farm and preserving the surrounding nature is essential." 

Volunteers will be asked to complete a multitude of tasks including but not limited to the following:

• Maintaining garden beds, planting, weeding and composting
  • Pruning trees
  • Building garden bed structures and maintaining equipment
  • Raking and turning soil and compost
  • Organizing and labeling gardening materials

For protection and comfort, volunteers are asked to wear closed toe shoes and be aware that their clothes may get dirty. Transportation is provided for this event, but space is limited to those who register first! Departure time and location will be announced to approved registered volunteers as the event date comes closer.

The Center for Leadership and Service hosts a multitude of service projects throughout the semesters for many causes. Here is a list of similar environmental and sustainability projects coming up with the Center for Leadership and Service:

Pre-registration is required! Register on Cougar Link. Spaces are limited and will be filled on a first come, first served basis.

Questions and more information about Plant it Forward and all of the volunteer opportunities offered by the Center for Leadership and Service (CLS) please contact the office, located in the Miron Student Center (MSC) Room 219, by calling (908) 737-5170 or email serve@kean.edu.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.