Jon Meacham Kicks Off Distinguished Lecture Series!

Distinguished Lecture Series begins with the author and commentator's views on the modern political climate

Campus News > Jon Meacham Kicks Off Distinguished Lecture Series!

Kean University has the pleasure of presenting the Distinguished Lecture Series with Jon Meacham Wednesday, Oct. 24 at 4:30 p.m.

Brandon Gervais, Editor

Jon Meacham will be opening Kean University's Distinguished Lecture Series with his lectures on American Politics and Current Events beginning Wednesday, Oct. 24 at 4:30 p.m. in the North Avenue Academic Building (NAAB) Auditorium.

Pulitzer Prize winning author and presidential historian Jon Meacham's work is a historical view looking at modern-day politics. This unique view has allowed him to become a respected political commentator and one of America's most prominent public intellectuals. This lecture will examine today's political climate by examining American history's most critical times when division and fear were overcoming hope.

Meacham is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and of the Society of American Historians, professor at Vanderbilt University, contributing writer to The New York Times Book Review, contributing editor of Time and has written for The New York Times op-ed page, The Washington Post, Vanity Fair, and Garden & Gun.

Author Jon Meacham to Open 2018-2019 Distinguished Lecture Series

Presidential historian and Pulitzer Prize award-winning writer, Jon Meacham, launched Kean University’s Distinguished Lecture Series this semester.

The second lecture in the Distinguished Lecture Series will be given by Judy A. Smith. Smith is known for her work inspiring the TV show Scandal, the "professional fixer". Smith's lecture will take place Wednesday, Dec. 5 also at 4:30 p.m. in the STEM Building.

Judy A. Smith has worked on high profile crisis management cases in Washington, D.C. including the Iran-Contra investigation, prosecution of former mayor of Washington, D.C., the Gulf War, the Monica Lewinsky and Bill Clinton scandal and the Sony Corporation hacking crisis. In addition to her work in crisis management in the capitol, Smith has worked as a counselor to Fortune 500 corporations and wrote a book, Good Self, Bad Self. Smith will speak on her experience in crisis management as well as her work in communication, media and politics. 

Judy Smith

The second lecture in the Distinguished Lecture Series will be given by co-executive producer and inspiration for ABC's Scandal, Judy Smith

Admission to all lectures is free and open to the public with limited seating. It is important to reserve tickets as they are first come, first serve and call for reserved tickets begins at 3:30 p.m. with doors opening at 4 p.m. Unclaimed tickets are released to the general public beginning at 4:15 p.m.

Jon Meacham's The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels

Jon Meacham will be doing a book signing of his latest book that discusses American politics.

Following Jon Meacham's kick-off of the Distinguished Lecture Series, he will be giving a book signing and meet and greet at Ursino Steakhouse. Meacham will be signing copies of his latest book, The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels, which debuted #1 on the New York Times bestseller list. Admission to the book signing and meet and greet will be $60 and will include light refreshments, beer, wine and a copy of the book.

For advance reservations, visit the website

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.