Looking Toward The Chapter After

The Leadership Institute will be presenting The Chapter After workshop series to help students in preparations for their career goals

Campus News > Looking Toward The Chapter After
Looking Toward The Chapter After

Hosted by the Leadership Institute, this series of lectures will help Kean students work toward their professional goals.

Brandon Gervais, Editor

The Leadership Institute will be hosting a series of workshops to help students in preparations for their career goals. The Chapter After Workshops Series consists of three workshops. The three workshops are: How to Find the Right Internships, Build A Better Resume and the Seniors Tell All.

The first workshops in the series was the How to Find the Right Internship that took place on Wednesday, Oct. 24. This event consisted of a presentation from a representative from Career Services, who spoke on getting involved in internships during college and how Career Services can help students with that.

Career Services can offer a multitude of different resources to students including resume critiquing and improving. With an appointment, students can sit down with a representative from Career Services and go over their resumes. They will help to expand and highlight key attributes and accomplishments catered to the intending position. They will also explain which things need to be removed. To make an appointment, contact Career Development and Advancement Services located in the Nancy Thompson Library, Room 145, by phone at (908) 737-4626 or by emailing career@kean.edu

Internships Workshop
With a presentation by a representative from Career Services, the event had students learn what kind of internships appeal to them.

Career Services will return to the the second workshop in The Chapter After Series to speak on tips on resume building during the Build a Better Resume workshop. This workshop will take place on Nov. 27 from 4 to 5 p.m. in the Miron Student Center, Room 228. This workshop will improve student resumes to be used when applying for leadership opportunities, jobs or internships.

Resume Workshop
This workshop will go through the important aspects of the resume and what employers look for.

These workshops are for students to take advantage of resources on campus to help themselves become successful in their professional and academic goals. 

"Students oftentimes get caught up in thinking they do not need to worry about things like resumes or internships. Then when they are seniors, they are surprised if they are behind and have trouble finding positions after college. This is to help prepare them for interview skills, internships, resumes and overall what they should be doing to prepare for senior year," said Sandra Espinal, coordinator for the Leadership Institute.

The final event in The Chapter After workshop series is the Student Leader Panel: Seniors Tell All. This event will have Kean seniors leading a panel for underclassmen to give advice on finishing out student time at Kean and discusses the best and worst choices they've made. The panel will give underclassmen an opportunity to ask questions about experiences on campus or grades. The panel will take place Dec. 6 from 4 to 5 p.m.

Senior Tell All
The student-led panel will consist of Kean seniors talking to underclassmen about the choices they wish they had made.

The Leadership Institute is a program that educates students on skills they will need to succeed as a student leader on campus. This four-year program offers a leadership certification to a select group of students who apply. The program works in levels from T2K Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. This event is not exclusive to leadership students as everyone is welcome to attend.

The students who attended the first of these workshops received valuable information on how to work for internships and more importantly finding legitimate internships that will offer students with actual relevant experience. Career Services can help students in finding and/or legitimizing the experiences students are doing. 

Students should definitely take advantage of The Chapter After as it is an excellent way for students to learn about what they could be doing better to make them stand out in a pile of resumes when they apply for internships and future careers. The next workshop series events will take place Nov. 27 from 4 to 5 p.m. for Building a Better Resume and Dec. 6 also from 4 to 5 p.m. for the Student Led Panel, both taking place in Miron Student Center, Room 228.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.