This year's Holi festival was the 4th annual Holi festival held at Kean University. The event is also known as the "Festival of Colors" because the festival encourages participants to use colored powders against each other. Colored powders are used to celebrate the vivid colors of the upcoming spring as well as the triumph of good versus evil in Hindu legends. 

This semester the International Student Association (ISA) teamed up with Asian Studies, Wenzhou-Kean Student Association (WKSA) and the Indian Cultural Club to create the fourth annual Holi Festival. The Holi Festival took place Thursday, April 13 from 3 to 6 p.m. on the basketball courts by the Miron Student Center (MSC).

Holi Festival (18)
Color could been seen thrown at this event.

Moreover, Kean University is an institution that prides itself in its ability to produce cultural programs and events to showcase the diversity of the campus. Through Cougar Link there are many cultural clubs, such as the ISA that work every semester to spread diversity through different mediums.

ISA is an organization that seeks to bring students of different backgrounds together to learn each others language and culture, while hosting events for the Kean community as a whole. Through the love of music, food, dance or even films ISA has been able to spark the interests of students with creative events like the Holi Festival.

Usually held two days in March, Holi is known as a festival of colors because of its use of colors. Holi is the most vibrant holiday celebrated in the Hindu culture, and serves as a reminder of the end of winter and the beginning of spring. In order to celebrate people play with different colors, while sparking conversation and creating new beginnings.

Holi Festival (27)
Smiles could be seen throughout the event as people bonded with each other.

Furthermore, Holi holds a stronger meaning through its stories. The following legends detail the meaning and importance of the festival:

• The Story of Holika Dahan - The first day of Holi is celebrate as Holika Dahan, symbolizing the victory of good over evil.
  • The Story of Radha and Krishna - The throwing of colors during Holi is attributed to a legend about Krishna, a boy with blue skin coloring Radha to build love and bonding.

Traditionally, children play with dry colors also known as abir, water guns known as pichkaris, water balloons with color and other creative props.

At Kean, ISA did their best to recreate the use of colors by using dry colors in an area that was appropriate to play in.

Upon arriving at the basketball courts, people could be seen walking, anticipating the activities that were to come. Bright colors like orange, yellow, blue and purple, among many others where spread around and covered the amused faces of those who participated.

Music could also be heard, building onto the theme of a joyous festival.

For more information about ISA or other cultural clubs and events to come, visit Cougar Link under "Cultural Organizations" for details.