Exploring Opportunities

The Student Involvement and Employment Expo gave students an insight to all the on campus jobs and clubs

Campus Life > Exploring Opportunities

On Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2020, Kean Cougars explored opportunities available to them on campus during the Student Involvement & Employment Fair.

Brandon Gervais, Editor

While Kean is known for its world-class education, the Student Involvement and Employment Fair gave Kean's population the chance to become more than just students as they explored opportunities to work and get involved on campus.

The Student Involvement and Employment Expo took place on Tuesday, Feb. 4 in the Miron Student Center. Many of Kean's student groups and on-campus employers were in attendance to market themselves to students. Students were able to walk around the MSC Atrium and the newly renovated Greek Lounge to see dozens of employer and organization tables.

The employers and Kean student groups in attendance included:

• American Medical Women's Association
  • Art Over All
  • Beta Beta Beta National Biological Honor Society
  • Career Services
  • Chance at Performing
  • Center for Leadership and Service, Community and Volunteer Services
  • Cru at Kean University
  • Elizabeth Chamber of Commerce
  • Filipinos Uniting Nations at Kean
  • First Generation Scholars
  • Haitian Student Association
  • Hallyu Club
  • Helping Younger Hands
  • InterVarsity Christian Fellowship
  • Jumpstart Kean
  • Kean Association of Marketing
  • Kean Dance Theatre
  • Kean's Got Talent
  • Kean Skylands Ski/Snowboard Club/Race Team
  • Kean Stage
  • Kean University Anime Society
  • Kean University Hillel
  • Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Incorporated
  • Miron Student Center
  • Nancy Thompson Library Learning Commons
  • Office of Admissions
  • Office of Residential Student Services
  • Office of Student Government
  • Office of Student Success and Retention
  • Point and Shoot
  • School of General Studies
  • STEM Outreach Program
  • Student Health Services
  • Writing Services and Public Speaking/Learning Commons

Hosted by the Involvement Center, this event served as a great chance for Kean students to hear about the benefits of involvement and what they can gain from working on campus. With many offices looking for already-involved students, and a minimum GPA for employment, it is no wonder that Kean University student workers are among the pool of Kean's finest in terms of involvement and academics.

"Getting involved on campus and, more specifically, really helps to jump-start your Kean experience. The biggest benefit is the connections...you are able to make with other students, as well as Kean University staff," said Coordinator of Student Involvement Jonathan Lopez.

The Involvement Center is a central place for information and resources for all campus involvement. It is through the Involvement Center that student organizations report for assistance, guidance and resources. For a student that is not a part of any specific organizations, the center can be used to learn about all of the different kinds of involvement opportunities available at Kean, from campus employment to attending events, joining organizations or even starting new organizations.

Based out of the Miron Student Center, in Room 303, the Involvement Center works every semester to engage students with involvement opportunities. One such opportunity is the First Year Cougar Climb. This program is a guided pathway to help students get engaged with different aspects of involvement.

Campus employment is a great way for students to get involved and feel connected to the university and campus community. It networks students with staff and provides students compensation for their hard work. There is a wide range of on-campus offices and programs that hire students exclusively, with major goals of training students for post-graduation work, and to be interactive with their major and other skills.

"Working on campus for Residential Student Services (RSS) has given me great networking opportunities and has allowed me to fully dive into my career. When you have connections with the faculty and staff, they may think of you when opportunities come up for other and better positions," said Jada Gilbert, RSS Community Assistant, Resident Assistant and President of PRIDE.

The Student Involvement and Employment Expo is an event similar to Kean Day, which is held every fall semester. Students were able to enjoy themselves and engage with their on-campus options before diving into the semester. For more information on campus employment or involvement and the Involvement Center, feel free to contact them at (908) 737- 5270 or visit them in the Miron Student Center, Room 303.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.