A Night At The Movies With Student Health Services

Join Student Health Services for a viewing of a movie that stresses the importance of medical information and sexual health

Campus News > A Night At The Movies With Student Health Services
Join Student Health Services for a special viewing and panel discussion on sexual health and racial injustice.
Brandon Gervais, Editor

Join Student Health Services (SHS) for A Night at the Movies: Miss Evers Boys, Wednesday, Feb. 10 from 7 to 9 p.m. and Thursday, Feb. 11 from 3-4:30 p.m. for a panel and discussion of the movie and its topics.

The film, Miss Evers Boys, centers on true events in 1932 when a nurse by the name of Eunice Evers was invited to work with doctors on the Tuskegee Experiment. The experiment was a federal funded program to treat syphilis in African American male patients in Alabama, who were told they were being cared for but were actually being denied the medicine to cure them.

Not only does the film present important topics on sexual health but it also brings up the wide discussion of black and brown people's access to health care. This event is well timed in the middle of Black History Month. It is a great way for students to take a step back and learn more about the lasting impact of the situation the film displays.

Kean's Student Health Services, located in Downs Hall, is an office on campus available to all students both commuters and residents alike. They are able to provide nearly every service a doctor's office could, completely free or charged through one's insurance. Students should be aware of their options so they don't opt for an urgent care facility for something Student Health Services could have assisted them with. Student Health Services stands with the New Jersey Department of Health in their initiative to help college students get the flu vaccination in protecting themselves, their fellow students and Kean community members.

Part of SHS's mission to maintain student wellness and overall health is giving information on the things that students need more education on. These events are great opportunities for members of the Kean community to hear from professionals on syphilis and the importance of sexual health and testing. Educating and informing students can help combat the large amount of young adults ages 15 to 24 who are being diagnosed with sexually transmitted infections and diseases.

The overall message for this event will be to make sure students are living healthy life styles and making smart choices when it comes to their sexual health. Also seeing the lasting effects of programs and organizations who have impacted the black and brown communities by denying them information.

Be sure to join the viewing of the movie as well as the panel and discussion event to learn more in depth about this unique event in history. Additionally, students can get answers to questions about sexual health, STD and STI testing.

For more information on sex health and education or other health concerns, contact Student Health Services at (908) 737-4880, or visit them in Downs Hall, Room 126. Student Health Services is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.