Lots To Eat!

An overview of Kean eateries on and off campus

Essentials > Lots To Eat!
Lots To Eat!
Brandon Gervais, Editor

Kean students have the benefit of dozens of on-campus dining options and also great eateries just off-campus. Everything from quick snacks to full course meals are all accessible to Kean students. 

The Miron Student Center (MSC) houses many different food options. Within the MSC lobby there is a Smashburger, an Auntie Anne's and Outtakes. Smashburger is a chain hamburger restaurant known for their burgers and milkshakes. Auntie Anne's is a chain pretzel shop known for their signature pretzels and lemonades. Outtakes is a convenience store style location that offers pre-made sandwiches, sushi and snacks. Outtakes also has basic toiletries, milkshake machine and coffee machine. 

Further into the Miron Student Center, the food court and Cougar's Den can be found. The food court is often called the "commuter cafe" by students. It is notable that the cafeteria uses biodegradable plates and utensils with stations including Jersey Mike's, Pasta Plus, Green Zebra, Breakfast Grill, Grilled to Perfection, Salad Bar & Fresh Fruit, Sonos, Pizza and Entrees, Chef’s Corner, Tex Mex, Breakfast & Bakery, grab-and-go items, and a full line of beverages.

The Cougar's Den is an on-campus restaurant located on the first floor of the Miron Student Center with two outside entrances. The Cougar's Den has multiple flat-screen televisions that are on different news and sports stations. It is stocked with modern furniture and a small stage for evening programming that can be planned by organizations on campus. 

On the other side of the sports lounge theme is the other entrance to the Cougar's Den right off of the University Center and Clock Tower. This side of the Cougar's Den is a greenhouse with windows all around, where students can eat and enjoy the day. Known to be the healthiest food option on campus, the Cougars’ Den features all-natural ingredients and offers a variety of gourmet soups, sandwiches, and salads. Healthy meal options include a salmon dish, a black-bean burger, or a wrap.  

When looking for food on-campus, consider the Residence Dining Hall. The hall offers many food options and is served buffet style. Students who live in the Residence Halls can access it using their meal plans, but commuter students can still have access to this dining experience with over 20 stations.

Kean's newest campus eatery is Au Bon Pain, located in the North Avenue Academic Building (NAAB). Au Bon Pain is a quick service cafe and bakery. It offers a variety of pastries and coffees as well as breakfast and lunch options.

Kean is home to the second largest Starbucks on a college campus. The Starbucks at Kean University functions as a full traditional Starbucks locations. It offers an assortment of classic beverages and Starbucks specialties, including a diverse selection of espressos, lattes, and blended beverages as well as baked goods and sandwiches. Starbucks is located on the first floor of the Nancy Thompson Library and is fully furnished with elegant and relaxing furniture. In addition to the Starbucks in the library, there is also the Center for Academic Success (CAS) Starbucks kiosk located on the third floor. It is perfect for a quick refresher as it offers coffees, teas, and small baked goods. The last Starbucks location on campus is the Green Lane Academic Building (GLAB) Starbucks Cafe. This cafe located on the first floor is attached to the campus Barnes and Noble bookstore and serves Starbucks coffees and teas while offering sandwiches, personal pizzas and baked goods. 

Over on East Campus, Cafe Yumba offers coffee options as well as a wide range of food items for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Selections include sandwiches, wraps, salads and more.

Ursino Steakhouse Tavern is a high end restaurant located behind the New Jersey Center for Science, Technology and Mathematics (STEM) building. One of the top dining experiences in New Jersey, Ursino brings history and the modern world together to create an unforgettable experience with attentive service and excellent food using local products and organic vegetables from the Kean University garden.

Off-campus students can find many different food options where they can use their Kean Cougar Dollars. These locations include BonChon, Applebee's, Koki Japanese Resturant, Rock 'n' Joe's Cafe and Tropicana Diner. BonChon is a Korean restaurant known for their signature chicken, located in Union Center on Stuyvesant Avenue. Applebee's on Morris Avenue in Union is a family restaurant, bar and grill accepts Cougar Dollars. 

Koki is a buffet that serves Japanese, American, Chinese and sushi options. It is located on Galloping Hill Road in Union. Tropicana is an off-campus diner that offers tropical island decorations and offers 24 hour service, located on Morris Avenue in Elizabeth. Rock 'n' Joe's Cafe is a cafe located in the train station on Green Lane. It offers a relaxing vibe and a variety of coffee and food options. Rock 'n' Joe's is also available to student groups to host events.

All of these food options are unique and easily available to Kean students to enjoy. Considering all of these options, a Kean student can never go hungry! Enjoy these dining experiences and try something new.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.