Virtually Together, Physically Apart

Join in on the many summer activities hosted through Kean University departments and student groups to connect to the Kean community while we are apart

Campus News > Virtually Together, Physically Apart
Virtually Together, Physically Apart
Join in on Kean's virtual events that range from a variety of interests.
Brandon Gervais, Editor

Engagement doesn't have to stop because the semester is over. Kean University, student groups and organizations continue to offer a variety of events to help the Kean community make the most of their time. There is something for every student as activities range between creative, active, gaming and competitive, educational, service and civic engagement, social and wellness events. These activities are hosted by many student groups as well as university departments. Events can be found on Cougar Link.

For students interested in events geared towards their creative sides, the Center for Leadership and Service (CLS) and Residential Student Services (RSS) are hosting events such as summer book club chats and do-it-yourself decorating for your room or residence hall.

The first book discussion for the CLS's summer book club, featuring "Where the Crawdads Sing," by Delia Owens, took place on June 29. Their next discussion, on their next book, will happen on Monday, July 27. For access, students should RSVP on Cougar Link.

Students can also look to join the Kean University Discord Server to connect to fellow students. Click here for a tutorial on how to join and use Discord.

For students interested in gaming events, the CLS will be hosting an Animal Crossing Meet Up event on Thursday, July 2. This will be hosted on Zoom. Be sure to RSVP and check out more of their activities on Cougar Link.

Educational activities are taking place throughout the university's busy summer. Students attended a Fashion Tips and Tricks event on Tuesday, June 30, as well as Mock Interview sessions with the Miron Student Center (MSC), to promote their personal and professional goals. Student Organization will also be hosting workshops for professional and career advancement. The first is a Goal Setting Workshop on Monday, July 13. The next is a Negotiating Needs & Overcoming Conflict Workshop on Monday, July 20.

Students looking to continue or begin their journey in civic engagement participated in a special Color for a Cause event with CLS on June 29, to help bring together the community with coloring and drawing online. More opportunities for civic involvement will be announced soon.

Student Organization will host social events consisting of dynamic guided virtual tours of both Boston, Massachusetts and the Eastern State Penitentiary and Prisons Today. The Eastern State Penitentiary & Prisons Today Virtual Tour will take place on Friday, July 10 from 1 to 2 p.m. This tour will be on Zoom and individuals can connect through the Zoom website or app with a link available on Cougar Link. The Interactive Virtual Boston Tour will follow on July 27 from 3 to 5 p.m. Stay tuned for more details about the tour and its platform.

Throughout the summer, students can also participate in wellness activities, such as weekly yoga classes with the School of Health and Human Performance and Counseling, Disability, Alcohol and other Drug Services. Every Saturday, join a 45-minute yoga class at 10:15 a.m. with certified yoga teacher Tara Bogota. These classes take place every Saturday through Instagram Live. Be sure to follow @KeanYoga to join in.

Additionally, students can attend a weekly LGBTQ+ Talk Space with the Kean Counseling Center and other students. This is a safe space for support for members and allies of those who identify with the LGBTQ+ community.

Many of the university's summer events are also wellness events, as they encourage students to connect to their community, even though they can't be together in person. The university and its student organization are hosting many more activities during the summer, and more are announced every week. Students should keep an eye on Cougar Link to find events that suit their interests.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.